We stayed at the El Dorado Maroma March 26 - April 2, 2012. The resort is not too far from the airport or from Playa Del Carmen. Even though it is classified as a 5 star resort, I would have to rate it less since not all areas are accessible to all and activities are limited.
~Excellent staff, willing to assist, very friendly and truly interested in their clients. This alone adds to the 'welcome home'.
~We booked a Mi Hotelito room on the advice of our travel agent. She said there was no need for an upgrade as these rooms were recently renovated. Personally, we were disappointed. Shower only, smaller room size, no liquor bottles with dispensers or premium beer in small fridge: soda, water and local beer only. Fridge in room 109 did not work well.
~A/C broke in room and water was all over the wall and floor. Adjacent wall in the bathroom became covered in black mould causing breathing issues for my spouse. A/C was fixed, but mould not removed. We were moved to another room and a few hours later someone was moved into our old room.
~Excellent, timely service with no complaints. We tipped generously as the housekeepers work hard in such hot, humid weather.
~There are 4 restaurants, 2 open for breakfast and lunch, 3 open for dinner.
~Food is very good, but I would say it falls short from gourmet. We tried both specialty restaurants and found the Italian to be so-so and the Asian one to be excellent.
~As for liquor, they serve domestic unless you ask for premium brand. Drinks are great and so is the service.
~Breathtaking grounds, well-manicured and maintained. Little fountains and ponds enhance the beauty.
~The area seems ‘dense’ that is, compacted. There are no real open spaces, except for the pool areas. It would be nice to have a small plaza where dinners, shows could be held.
~The EDM is very earth conscious and does its part to aid the environment. The beach has artificial reefs that protect beach erosion and support certain fish species. This means you can walk to the reef with the water not over your knees. While this is refreshing and conservatory, it detracts from the ocean's natural beauty and the feel of being 'in' the ocean.
~The EDM is low-key. Entertainment was average. There really was no great venue on the property for hosting shows.
~We enjoy watching a movie before bed. TV is cable, not satellite. Cable was out for 1 day and stations in English are limited.
~We had a couples massage at the spa and it was fantastic. We would recommend this.
~1 actual inside bar - Rick's, which is small in size. Michael Jackson show downsized in dancers from other resorts we have visited as venue not spacious enough.
~There are activities provided by the animation team: yoga, bingo, Spanish lessons etc.
~There is a Lomus travel rep on site to assist in booking excursions.
~There is a shuttle that goes to Playa Del Carmen, advanced booking required, no cost.
~Specialty dinner nights: Italian, Mayan, Mexican, and Thai.
~Dinner on the beach available for extra charge. Very nice.
~Room Service is hit or miss. Ordering throughout the night can be tricky. We were asked to call 3 different numbers only to be connected with the original person.
~Personal Concierge is a real nice touch. This is the first time we experienced such hands-on care for our personal requests.
~Gym available on the property.
OVERALL LAYOUT OF ROOMS:
~The average age of the vacationer of EDM we would estimate to be 40 and over. Not many of the younger crowd. Having said that, there were several people aged 60 and over who had walking issues. This resort has no elevators. The amount of stairs to climb is above average as many suites have vaulted ceilings. We went to the 3rd floor to look at a honeymoon suite that was available. There is no way that I could have climbed those stairs more than once a day. The occupancy rate was around 70% with the higher floors being empty and I can understand why.
EXOTIC TRAVELLERS' CLUB:
~This is the 'non-time share' pitch.
~You tour the members' suites and are given a brief demonstration which is between 60-90 minutes in length.
~In return you receive a 25 min couples massage or a candlelight dinner on the beach.
~If you guess that these are the 2 options, like we did, we received BOTH and up-graded the massage to 50 mins!
Overall we were pleased with our time in Mexico and at the EDM. We would probably not return to this resort but would visit the sister resorts, like ED Royale or Azul Sensatori which have elevators.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Hotel
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- El Dorado Maroma Hotel
- El Dorado Maroma Resort
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of Travel Channels Top Ten Beaches in the World, El Dorado Maroma is an upscale, exclusive Caribbean resort for romantic couples and active vacationers alike. Intimate and beachfront. Rustic and luxurious at the same time. the hotel provides outstanding services and gourmet cuisine. Receive personalized butler and concierge service, arrive with style with a champagne check in. It is rustic, because it is not pretentious and was built using traditional materials and with the philosophy of embracing the bounty of the nature and the local environment. It lies directly on the beach of Maroma, considered to be one of the best beaches in the world by independent reviewers, including the Discovery Channel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.