We had reservations for lunch at Hotel Splendido knowing we would have a day in Portofino while on a cruise. It is, indeed, a beautiful place. However, we had terrible service and little consideration on their part for mistakes. After our first courses, the waiter brought my husband another plate of the same dish he'd just eaten as his second course. After a minute, someone else took it away and a brusque "sorry, confusion" from the main waiter, we waited a good 20 or more minutes for the correct fish dish to be served. Meanwhile, I went ahead and ate my dish - there was no offer that would allow me to do otherwise. So, my husband sat without food while I ate. When he was finally served, the waitstaff let my plate sit empty on the table while my husband ate (trying to make it look less obvious?) Later, we finally had to ask for the check, for which we then waited another 10-15 minutes. For 3 glasses of wine, a bottle of water, a salad, 2 pasta dishes and a fish dish, the bill was 177 Euros ($220). Amazingly, included in this is a "Coperto" charge of 15 Euros - which is ostensibly the "cover" or, what is often called a "Bread" charge (usually 1 or 2 euros in other cafes and trattorias). The quality of the food was good, however no better than most restaurants we frequent. The service for a restaurant of this reputation was horrendous. If you think paying this much for the view is worth what they charge, you may enjoy Splendido.
- Also Known As:
- Splendido Hotel Portofino
- Splendido Resort Portofino
- Hotel Splendido
- Hotel Splendido Portofino
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The view from the Hotel Splendido is absolutely breathtaking: you are surrounded by beautiful gardens and can gaze down upon the charming little harbour of Portofino. The hotel has just the right blend of beauty, style, comfort and service. Swim and sunbathe by the beautiful swimming-pool, pamper yourself at the Spa or treat yourself to gourmet meals at La Terrazza restaurant. If you look for unique experiences, enjoy a romantic sunset cruise with champagne on the hotel's private boat or try the olive oil tasting classes on the terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orient Express, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Splendido and Splendido Mare by Orient Express reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.