My husband and I had a trip back in time last week on spending two wonderful days and nights in Sir John's Room at Castle Leslie.Meeting 95 yr old Sir John Leslie himself was the icing on the cake.We felt that we were visiting our relatives 100 years ago.It is old world elegance personified.Once we got used to no TV no Radio no Shower very low lighting in the bedroom but a wonderful large bath with a very large silver bauble in the bathroom a wonderful comfortable bed and great views of the lake we were sorry that we hadn't booked a longer stay.A very lavish freshly cooked breakfast with views overlooking the lake was a great start to the day.The diningroom houses numerous family portraits and is more than interesting particularly if one knows the history of the Leslie family.Sir John having breakfast in his dressing gown and pyjamas enlightened us as to which member of the family we were looking at.I can't help but think that there must be something special in the air in Glaslough when one witnesses such a healthy piano playing dancing fun loving 95 yr old.The grounds are splendid and very well mantained.Walks are easy and interesting.Some of the people we met went horse riding others went fishing while two of the young people tried the spa. Dinner was superb and was held in snaffles a five minute walk down the avenue.Live piano music added to the atmosphere.There are morning rooms reading rooms a library a conservatory a sittingroom. All had enormous old world fireplaces and on returning from dinner we met some residents and joined them for a drink in the sittingroom throwing some logs on the fire as required.A fun night was had by all . It was 2am by the time we retired.Thank you Castle Leslie for a wonderful break.We will be back!Bring a booklight with you if you are a serious reader, they are available in most supermarkets.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel Glaslough
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel
- Castle Leslie
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle Leslie Estate, nestled on 1,000 acres of undulating Irish countryside, dotted with ancient woodland and glittering lakes, is one of the last great Irish Castle estates still in the hands of its founding family. Castle Estate is waiting to be discovered. Located in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, the Estate is only 80 minutes from Dublin. The Castle (20 individual guestroom), at the heart of the Estate, offers authentic original interiors and old-style hospitality and is a complete respite from the world. The Lodge (29 guestrooms) is the social hub of the Estate and brings locals and guests together in an atmosphere of conviviality and comfort. The Old Stable Mews (12 two bed Mews) & Village Cottages (12 four and five bed cottages) are the perfect spot for families and groups that want the convenience of hotel living combined with private self catering.The Estate offers an idyllic setting for outdoor activity and adventure. It’s the perfect place to discover the thrill of exploring the countryside on horseback or foot. You can spend a few hours fishing on one of Ireland's best-preserved lakes. Alternatively, you might prefer to enjoy a massage in the Victorian Treatment Rooms at the end of an activity packed day or relax with a book in one of our many beautiful rooms. Other activities include Hot Air Balloon rides, carriage rides, kayaking, clay pigeon shooting, and the Kids Saddle Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Splendia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Olotels, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Castle Leslie Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.