View all photos (65)
Select Date and Travellers
Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
The northern lights are famously tricky to see, so increase your chances by booking this tour from Reykjavik led by an experienced aurora hunter. Leave nighttime driving to the experts and travel outside the city, away from light pollution, to a location specially selected for its optimal aurora-viewing qualities. Avoid disappointment with the knowledge that if you don't see the lights, you can join the tour another night for free.
You'll start at
Or, you can also get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Aurora ReykjavikStop: 30 minutes - Admission includedThe Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis in the Northern Hemisphere, are actually the result of collisions between gaseous particles in the Earth's atmosphere with charged particles released from the sun's atmosphere. The locations visited are different from day to day as we head in the direction with the most chances of seeing Northern Lights. As this tour is weather dependent and sightings are not guaranteed you are welcome to join another Northern Lights tour free of charge. Booking this Northern Lights tour also gives you a free ticket to visit the Aurora Museum in Reykjavik, Grandagarður 2, 101 Reykjavík. The free entrance is only valid on the day you join the tour, from the time we announce whether the tour is ON (by email and on our website). The entrance fees to the Aurora Reykjavik exhibition are complementary meaning that if you do not wish to go to the museum, there is no partial refund. Join us for a night of adventure and wonder in the Icelandic countryside! Be sure to be dressed up accordingly: warm, wind and waterproof clothing and footwear.Read more
You'll end at
Þórunnartún 1, 105 Reykjavík, IcelandTour Bus Stop 12, Höfðatorg, Þórunnartún 1 (64.144389,-21.910327)
See address & details
- Aurora hunter-guide takes you to the best location for northern lights viewing
- Take a free second tour if you don't see the lights
- Warm up with hot drinks while waiting
- Hassle-free hotel pickup and drop-off from Reykjavik included
What to Expect
After pickup from your Reykjavik hotel or other designated departure point at the prearranged time, meet your guide and settle into the vehicle for the journey out of the city and into the countryside. Your exact destination depends upon the conditions and the informed decisions of your aurora hunter-guide, who takes you to where their experience tells them you have the best chance of seeing the lights. Enjoy a warm cup of hot chocolate as you wait for the aurora to make its appearance. With luck, the lights will soon appear to dance across the sky in colors of green, pink, and violet. Your guide can take souvenir photos for you to capture the moment (additional cost). If, however, the lights do not appear, join the tour again on another night at no additional cost. Afterward, the tour returns to drop you off at your original departure point.
Þórunnartún 1, 105 Reykjavík, Iceland
Returns to original departure point
- WiFi on board
- Entry/Admission - Aurora Reykjavik
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years old
- Booking this Northern Lights tour also gives you a free ticket to visit the Aurora Museum in Reykjavik, Grandagarður 2, 101 Reykjavík. The free entrance is only valid on the day you join the tour, from the time we announce whether the tour is ON (by email and on our website). The entrance fees to the Aurora Reykjavik exhibition are complementary meaning that if you do not wish to go to the museum, there is no partial refund.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 65 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
I have been to Iceland before & have seen the Northern Lights, so coming back I was really excited to bring my girlfriend & go on a Northern Lights excursion. We were told to be there at 8:30, so we arrived at 8:30 and we were stood freezing cold at the bus stop until 9:10. We…
Response from Bustravel-Iceland, Guest Relations Manager at Northern Lights Bus Tour from Reykjavik
Responded 3 weeks ago
We are sorry you did not enjoy your Northern Lights tour. We go to the best location to see the Northern Lights, and so sadly there is not always an option to take passengers somewhere where there might also be a waterfall. Although these tours are at night and in the winter we do try and take passengers to interesting locations where we can tell you about the history and folklore etc. Unfortunately during the night it is not possible to see extensive scenery, due to the darkness. We are sorry you did not enjoy the traditional Icelandic snacks offered on your tour. Whilst fermented shark is not for everyone the feedback we receive from our guests is that they enjoy the opportunity to experience a truly Icelandic cultural delicacy. We also provide hot chocolate and candy which you did not mention in your review. We go above and beyond on our Northern Lights hunts to make these tours an experience. We offer expert guides, stories, information, advice on setting up cameras as well as blankets and traditional Icelandic snacks. We want all our guests to enjoy their time in our beautiful country. We care deeply about the experience, so we are surprised to hear you did not enjoy it. We would like to investigate further and encourage you to send us a direct message so we can improve our services.
We had a lovely tour with Alexander (tour guide) and Linax (bus driver) and we could catch the northern lights some km to the north of Reykjavik despite of the low chances shown by the forecast. So it was a really nice surprise for us. The organization was super and our guide…
Date of experience: March 2020
Brilliant trip Daniel the courier was so helpful and knowledgeable he even lit a fire. He would help individuals with their cameras which was so helpful
Date of experience: March 2020
We did this tour on the 2rd March 2020. 1st I want say Charia was a absolutely brilliant tour guide. She was extremely informative and really gave her passion about the lights to the whole bus. While we was driving to the destination it started snowing pretty badly but her…
Unfortunately we didn't see the lights, despite weather conditions being perfect. Can't hold that against the company though and for their part the staff were jovial and entertaining. The tour guide Palli regaled us with Icelandic history, myths, and ghost stories, and the tour…
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: BusTravel Iceland
Well everyone wants to see the northern lights but they can be so illusive. I wasn't lucky this time but not in th…
Spectacular scenerey; a long day but well worth it!
As other reviews have remarked, this is one of the longest single day tours you can do from Reyjkavik - over 800km …
Amazing scenery, well-organised tour, good guide
We were picked up promptly at 9am from the designated bus stop near our accommodation for our full day tour, return…
Excellent ,very interesting albeit long day tour
I recently did this day tour from Reykjavik. It is apparently the longest day tour you can do in Iceland and traver…
South Iceland Tour
This is my second visit to Iceland, first time round we did the golden circle tour but this time we wanted to do a …
Glorious Golden Circle Tour
So many experiences in one day from craters, to geysers to my favourite, Gullfoss waterfall. The guide was informat…
Lovely, well-organized tour. Guide was friendly and very knowledgeable, bus was comfortable (with WiFi!). The whole…
We had such a good time on this day trip! Our guide for the day was called Howser and he was so knowledgable about …
We did the southern Iceland tour yesterday it was amazing! We had Howser as our tour guide who was incredible, had …
Snæfellsnes Peninsula Tour with BusTravel Iceland
We have a wonderful local tour guide who loves her country. Her English is superb and she took us for a hike on al…
Incredibly nice tour
Atli was so nice guide!! He has considerable and wide range of knowledge of Icelandic nature, politics and so on.
More customized travel experience!
More customize travel experience small group. Our tour guide Alti was the best he is knowledgeable with a great sen…
Our guide was incredible, he knew so much and had a nice voice. The atmosphere he helped create was very friendly a…
Great day trip
We had Thora for our day tour and we can't recommend her highly enough. The driving conditions weren't the greatest…
Best tour guide ever!
We went on this tour and had Howser as a guide. He had GREAT stories throughout the tour and was VERY knowledgeable…
- Duration: 3–4 hours
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:800-130-2207