The Paddle with the Platypus adventure offers an opportunity to slow down and spot platypus in their natural habitat and a chance to learn about their very secretive lives.
The Paddle with the Platypus tour operates every evening from September to May with additional morning paddles departing November to March. Guests are fully-guided, assisted by gentle river currents passing through local hop fields and farmlands. Pause en route to enjoy a locally prepared tasting platter showcasing award-wining and often hand-picked fresh produce in the evenings or a freshly baked morning tea.
Platypus are notoriously known for their shy and elusive personalities, making them difficult to spot in the wild. Operating on the river for over seven seasons, Tassie Bound Adventure Tours, know a stretch of river, only accessible by kayak, where platypus are very active through the warmer months of the year. The Paddle with the Platypus adventure offers visitors to the area the best chance of viewing platypus WILD and thriving in their own natural habitat.
A perfect adventure for first-time paddlers, families and platypus enthusiasts looking for a VIP backstage pass to the Derwent Valley region.
No prior kayaking experience required.
Evening departures every day from Nov to March from 5 pm to 8 pm (Eastern Daylight Saving Time)
Morning departures Wednesday to Saturday from November to March from 8 am to 11 am.
• 2 hour fully guided kayak tour of the breathtaking Upper Derwent River.
• Safety demonstration and local guides.
• All premium kayak and safety equipment.
• Local Tassie platter of Derwent Valley Produce prepared by our chef on our evening departure OR a freshly baked morning tea on our morning departure.
• Platypus spotting (although we provide the best possible opportunities we cannot guarantee platypus sightings on every tour). We have been running platypus tours for three years and have a success rate of around 95%.
• Transfers back to vehicle at the completion of tour.
• Pick up from Hawthorn Lodge at Bushy Park.
• Complimentary photos provided at completion of tour.
• No prior experience necessary but all guests must be able to swim
Approximately 3 hours total.