View all photos (286)
Select Date and Travellers
Select tour language
Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
Travel from Wellington to Tongariro National Park or Auckland by train for a scenic ride that passes through the Kapiti Coast, the Waikato countryside, and the Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu mountains. With well-appointed carriages and outdoor viewing decks, the train from Wellington to Auckland is a beautiful way to see the North Island, and GPS-triggered audio commentary is available through headsets at every seat.
- Ride one segment or take the whole spectacular journey
- Indoor and outdoor spaces are great for sightseeing
- GPS-triggered audio helps you explore the landscape
- Disembark at Tongariro National Park or Auckland
What to Expect
Make your way to the Wellington Railway Station or the train station in Tongariro National Park, where you’ll board a train heading north. The journey passes through a mix of farmland, rural towns, and coastline, but the three volcanoes of Tongariro National Park are a scenic highlight; rail enthusiasts will be love the Raurimu Spiral that helps the train climb the dramatic slope. You’ll see lava flows, snow fields, and forests of beech trees while the GPS-triggered audio commentary fills you in on the passing landmarks. The trains are equipped with dining carriages that have drinks, snacks, and light meals available for purchase, and by the time you arrive at Tongariro National Park or the Auckland Railway Station, you’ll have covered some of the North Island’s most remarkable scenery.
Wellington Station, District of Freedom#8573311~!#, Bunny Street, Pipitea, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Auckland Strand, Parnell, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
- One Way Rail Journey
- GPS triggered audio commentary
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Excess luggage charges (where applicable)
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if travelling with a wheelchair.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please arrive at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure and check in at the station to receive your boarding pass. Please have your Viator Voucher ready for inspection.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
About the operator
By: Northern Explorer Train
Was alright, think I'd fly next time unless its Sunny!
I went from Wellington to Auckland, as a journey it's a loooooong journey so be prepared for that. Scenery was…
Feilding, New Zealand8223
Day trip from Auckland to Palmerston North
We flew up to Auckland and decided to take the train trip back. The station staff were excellent, we were in…
Very very disappointed don’t recommend
After viewing a travel show in Australia that highlighted nz rail journey, we decided to give it a go. The train…
Tania and Pete M
Auckland Central, New Zealand416
From the urban decay of Auckland to stunning ravines and rolling hills. Doesn't really pick up till below…
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom89
Travelled from Wellington to Auckland on the Northern Explorer. Took 11hrs. Having stayed in Wellington with…
Auckland, New Zealand90
Heading north from Wellington
Another one of the great train journeys of the world. Along the way one passes through many of the wonderful…
Inverness, United Kingdom101
Up to Arthur's Pass
Great service,easy to book. The train has great views and would definitely recommend to all travellers!
Spending the children's inheritance!
Preston, United Kingdom10
Wellington to Auckland on the Northern Explorer
Personally we found it over long because we'd been on the Greymoth to Christchurch Trans Alpine train, as well as…
Auckland Central, New Zealand2411
I agree with much of the Roampup04 review. I traveled with my brother who is visiting NZ. We thought the train…
Long Preston, United Kingdom275
Trip to Kaikoura.
A lovely journey through gorgeous countryside before hitting the Pacific coast. Easy to board our luggage was…
- Northern Explorer Train, The Great Journeys of New Zealand (formerly KiwiRail Scenic Journeys), and 1 more
- Duration: 315–630 minutes
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Languages Offered: English, Chinese
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071