View all photos (307)
Select Date and Travellers
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
See the gleaming golden spire and elaborate sculptures of Wat Phra That Doi Suthep in peace and quiet on this serene sunrise tour. Watch the light spill across northern Thailand from one of the region’s highest points, and witness a morning alms-giving ceremony that most visitors miss. Your guide is a former monk, so you'll get first-hand insight into temple life and the Buddhist faith. A delicious Thai breakfast is also included.
You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Wat Phra That Doi SuthepStop: 60 minutes - Admission includedFor this tour we wake up and leave early in the morning at 05:00 - 05:10 am. and drive up into the mountains to visit the Wat Phra That Doi Suthep temple ( A Chiang Mai Land-mark.) We highly recommend visiting this famous temple at dawn. The temple is quiet and the monks are just chanting, rousing and going out to receive alms offerings. Without any crowds you can enjoy the magical morning light and incredible views in serenity. It is the beginning to a great and wonderful day. Doi Suthep temple is located on the peak of the Doi Suthep Mountains and is the most famous landmark in Chiang Mai. They say you have not truly been to Chiang Mai if you have not visited this temple ! At the top of the temple you can view the pagoda shining with real gold, and a viewing platform offers panoramic views of the whole Chiang Mai City – take in the wonderful countryside landscape while the sun rises behind the city and mountains. The morning sky and view could be immortalized in a beautiful painting ! Morning life at the temple is unforgettable -the sound of temple bells, monks chanting and the fascinating view of Chiang Mai will fill your heart. Don’t leave Chiang Mai without this impression.!!! Before we continue to the other sites, we will have a nice and original taste of famous and delicious Chiang Mai food. ( Khoi Soy or Thai local breakfast sticky rice and Local Thai KFC. ) After sunrise. we will drop by at the hidden jungle temple and Wat U-Mong to enjoy the serenity surrounding & peace ! Both of them are unique meditation places, very interesting and serene. See you in the morning at 5:00 a.m.-05:10 a.m.Read more
- Visit the Doi Suthep temple before the daytime crowds arrive
- Wake up early to witness a special morning alms ceremony
- See the dawn light reflect off the golden temple and mountain landscape
- Get a personal perspective on Buddhist life from a former-monk guide
- Local Breakfast ( Khao Soi or other local Thai breakfast )
- All fees
- Bottled water
- Professional Experienced TAT Tourist guide.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Flexible for party needs
- VIP. Air-con. Car / Van
- Entry/Admission - Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
- Tip or other personal expenses
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is formal ( Must be long pants or long skirt for temple visit in Thailand )
- Stroller accessible
- Most travellers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
It’s totally worth waking up early to literally be the first people on the temple grounds. It was incredible to see the temple change from night to day, completely different experience! Lunch was delicious and the other two temples we stopped at were also fascinating but temples…
Our trip to Wat Doi Suthep was truly awesome. Certainly worth waking up early for. Our guide, Sipohn, was knowledgeable, passionate, and (best of all) funny. Not only did we enjoy his company, but we learned a lot about life as a monk, since he spent many years at that temple. …
1 Helpful vote
Amazing time at the temple. So worth getting up so early. Especially seeing and hearing the monks chant before sunrise. Lots of steps so take your time!
Date of experience: January 2020
Over priced, we could have done it ourselves using a taxi and had a better trip. Walking a couple of tunnels followed by an overly busy temple in the dark is not worth it. I think going during the day would be better when everything is open and the monks are around
Date of experience: January 2020
1 Helpful vote
Response from Sipohn C, General Manager at Doi Suthep Temple: Amazing Mountaintop Sunrise Tour and Stunning City Views
Responded 1 Mar 2020
Here the tour you went with on that day." Amazing Night tour ! Wat umong & Doi suthep at Night - Top Must visit " ( Not with us. !! ) Dear Madam / Sir So sorry to see that you posted on the wrong place. We didn’t do that tour with you on that day. We also wondered how your negative review on our page. We did not do that Doi Suthep sunset program you talked about. And we’ve never done that Doi Suthep sunset program since we set up untouched Thailand Company.. We do only SUNRISE TOUR. And the original one.! ANY WAY YOU CANNOT WATCH SUNSET at Doi Suthep temple because of the big mountains behind the temple block the sun after 2:30 pm. So on this temple you can watch or enjoy Sunrise only. We always know there is NO SUNSET THERE.. When i read your review I shocked about what you tried to tell the others. I sure. You got a scam on that day. There are no tours to take our clients to Wat U-mong and Doi Suthep at night as your pictures posed on our page. We don't have that Doi Suthep sunset program on our tour programs. Beware.! We don't have any agencies at the hotel or guesthouse to sell our tours to you. Please, be ware.. !! All of our clients always book our tours online or call us via WhatsApp No #. In case you have misunderstand about our tour..!! Our tour is not expensive at all. Because we includes all admission fees for you such as food for giving Alms to monks ,getting a holy yarn for lucks, temple frees, a famous local breakfast, drinking water, transportation, gasoline, experienced temple guide, visiting other 2 temples,( Nice ones: Hidden and a forest temples ) We saw some tourists in the morning. They took, grab, taxi or Songthaew to get there because they thought they got the better or cheaper price. Then they leave tourists getting temple by himself because there cannot take them up to the temple. ( They cannot take a tourist to get up there without a tourists guide license. It is illegal. So they will try to tell them in the car only. And let them help themselves to walk up the stairs and getting around the temple area-s. And I thought tourists don't know in the morning it is the best time for monks doing their spiritual activities in daily life. They need tourists to get there with a right guide who know Thai culture to tell their guests how to act in the right way in the temple at dawn. Other while tourists can be disturbed by them during morning Buddhists ritual ceremony and activities. That’s way they did not do the chanting during the day because of crowd. They will start to practice those secret ceremony early morning or late evening when there are less people around. when monks are chanting or doing their morning activities even collecting food from people. Tourists who be there without any temple guides, can make monks feel inconvenience and feel sorry for them that they need to tell them by hand signal, it is quite complicated for monks because there is No guide to tell them how to act in right and humble way to respect in right way when tourists are in the temple during special ritual activities. and Some have wrong behave in the temple area such as ware shorts, impolite posing photography in front of Buddha images, use drone to take photos and climbing up to sit on the stairs or balcony. (There are any times, monks would like to tell them but they cannot speak English and they need to be humble during their ritual activity. So they try to tell a guide to tell them. But it is hard as well for a guide to tell other tourists because a guide they need to watch and take care of their group. So It must be double careful when you be at the main holy temple alone without a guide and a temple guide doesn’t want to tell them as well because it may make them unhappy. So Thai people will not say thing to hurt other people feelings if it is not really serious cause or a big mistake.! Regards: Untouched Thailand team
Our guide Non, was a monk for 6 years. He was pleasant, knowledgeable and was willing to answer any questions throughout the whole trip! Definitely worth the early wakeup! Very informative and humbling experience. He also takes great pictures and knows the areas to take them at…
1 Helpful vote
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Untouched Thailand
Ata was great!
We spent two days with Ata--one in Chiang Mai and one in Chiang Rai. He was very knowledgable and friendly. Origina…
Tom, amazing guy
This was one of our best days in Thailand. Tom knows so much about Thai culture and history and is willing to cust…
If you only have one day for a tour of the mountains
Guide and driver Lek was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful all day long. This was a nice mix of activities starti…
Great tour guide
Our tour guide Siphon personally met us at arrival Chiang Rai Airport. He took us all the best scenes must to see.…
Best choice for Chiang Mai
Thank you Untouched Thailand ! We had a great vacation with Mr. Sipohn, he is a very clever, full of knowledge and …
Untouched Thailand is the best
Dear Sipohn, I would like to thank you once more regarding for your all effort ... To all , Highly recommended comp…
4 Day private tour
We did a 4 day private tour through northern Thailand with Non. He was an excellent driver, picked us up on time e…
Doi Suthep at Sunrise- perfect!
We had a fabulous tour of Doi Suthep at sunrise with John! It was SO worth getting up early for to avoid the crowds…
What an amazing DAY
TOM was the best tour guide we ever had!! We got picked up 9am sharp by a friendly man named Tom. He spoke great en…
We completed the tour in December, it was very interesting & the guide was very knowledgeable. It was well worth th…
Sunrise Tour is the sine qua non for a great visit in Chiang Mai
Booked a family tour for Sunrise on Doi Suthep temple. Non, a former monk, was our guide and we liked him a lot. …
The Perfect Way to Enjoy A Real Chiang Mai
We were served by 2 guides, one for cycling and the other for trekking. They both had so much information to share …
5 days we will never forget!
We booked a 5 days trip in the north of Thailand with this agency. From the beginning, the owner, Sipohn, was super…
What made this excursion truly exceptional was the tour guide, Tom. A former monk at Doi Suthep, Tom explained to m…
The most amazing tour with the most amazing people - Lek & Fern!
My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to stumble across this tour after our hotel told us it was not possible to vis…
- Duration: 5h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:800-130-2207
Travellers also viewed
Popular: Booked by 382 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 192 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 170 travellers!
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 951 travellers!