I visited Singapore twice for business in July and on each occasion, I bought tickets for the bus. On my first visit, I just found the nearest bus stop and waited for the bus and on the second occasion I bought the tickets online. It was a straight forward process on each occasion.
I bought a day ticket and I was aware that this was only until 5. There are 2 routes, the yellow route and the red route. The single ticket covers both.
1. If you want to do a lot of sight seeing and the plan is to hop on hop off, you will need to do one route per day. There isn’t enough hours in the day to do both. However, if you just want to sit on the bus then, yes, you can cover both routes.
2. If the plan is to hop on and hop off, you need to download the app. This will guide you to the required bus stops because they are not clearly signposted. Also, the app is quite handy because you can track the buses.
3. All buses go up to Suntec city where you can change but you can also change anywhere in the city.
4. The headphones are really good, I managed to keep mine all day but I understand you need to pay for a replacement. They also gave us ponchos when it started raining, all included in the price.
5. To ensure I got back to my hotel after, I made sure I got one of the last buses and got off at a bus stop closest to my hotel. If you miss the last bus, you can get a taxi using the grab app which you have to download in advance, add a payment method or make sure you have cash. Or you can get the MRT but it’s easier to get a taxi.