- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
15 places sorted by traveller favourites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- Everyone said this would be super touristy, but honestly I loved it. It was full of wildlife. Our guide was great (I can't remember his name, Nochi?). We saw many different birds, wild boars, monkeys and a pit viper snake. There are some beautiful waterfalls too. The bridges are scary but awesome.Written 14 May 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A lovely chance to support a local community. Highly recommend the walk to the waterfall and a swim. The ladies also demonstrate how to make soap, use recycling for everyday items. The meal is tasty and the homestays are very welcoming.Written 8 May 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had a wonderfull time at this small family business. They know what hospitality is. Their son was so kind to give us an tour. He is very friendly, and really took the time for us. I've made lot of friends, within a couple of minutes I had a lot of butterfly friends sitting all over me. This is a beautiful experience. higly recommended to incorporate it in your trip.Written 10 December 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A bit of a trek down to the hot springs, but oh so worth the effort! Beautiful surroundings, helpful, friendly staff and a variety of pools to choose from. Beverages are readily available and delivered poolside.Written 1 October 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- For people who love aviation history this is a must to see. The exhibits are real. It starts with early aviation history displays to modern ones. It is a very interesting place to take the whole family.Written 28 July 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- My travel friend and I wanted to check this place out after two days of local exciting adventures. Our instinct was correct! Very nice to sit in the various temperatures of pools and just relax. We went a bout 3 in the afternoon which was perfect as we stayed until past sunset. The pools are various temps and get higher as you walk up the path.
This is not natural but a man made environment. It was still lovely and very clean and casual. We had a day pass with a meal that was buffet style. It was mediocre but you do sit next to a waterfall so who cares? We didn't get to check out the other thermal springs in the area so cannot compare but it's fun and relaxing so I recommend it.Written 21 September 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I went to La Casona on a community service trip with an organization called Rustic Pathways. The owners were incredibly sweet, and Milton, one of the owners, gave us a cultural tour of the house and the grounds. The tour was incredibly interesting and informative, and really fun. We learned about the process of growing sugarcane and making sugar, and got to try some of the finished product. We then had a delicious dinner cooked by lovely women. Overall, the experience was really interesting and fun, and I would definitely come back!Written 8 August 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Our hotel arranged for a well informed young man named, Jaime who accompanied us on the combination tour of the "hanging bridges" and volcanoe hike. He was so knowledgeable and really made our trip very worthwhile. He noticed everything in the rainforest and gave us a great education about the animals, plants and Costa Rican life!Written 23 March 2013This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Jose not only chauffeured us to and from the tour, he also expertly guided us in the most beautiful trail in his yard and also hosted us for a delicious authentic meal. I highly recommend this excursion. Hearing all the sounds emanating from the jungle was an experience I will never forget. In addition to spectacular vegetation and frogs, we also spied sloths, caymans and exotic birds. Love that this tour company is owned and operated by a lovely Costa Rican family.Written 18 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Visited with a couple of friends based on a friends recommendation who had been here last year. We walked down to the the river and I thought… oh look another river however as we went up stream and rounded the river bends I was MINDNBLOWN 😱🤯🤯🤯 with the beauty, colors and the sheer breathtaking view of the Majestic Rio Vieja. The surprise at the end of the hike was worth every step of the trek.
The views are to die for and literally untouched. This spot is a precious site that must be cared for to prevent a flood of tourists!!! Wagner was an AMAZING GUIDE!!! I would totally come back to Costa Rica todo this hike again!!!!! Pura Vida Hermanos and Pura Vida La Ciudad Esmeralda!!Written 27 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- The place seems not to be finshed with its construction part yet however it looks decent... My complaint about this place was not even the construction part but the service, my first disappointment was when I notice you can’t pay at the bar for your beverages, you need to walk to the reception and buy some chips you can exchange at the bar, this is too much hassle and an incovenience to the customers... We should be able to buy and pay for what you want to drink at the bar... My second inconvenience was when I went the get the chips, the staff was seated at one of the tables they have there, the employee in duty looked at me and asked me what I wanted instead of stading up and coming by to see what the customer needed... Right after I told her I needed to buy some “bar chips” she looked at me like saying: “Are you kidding me?” And made me wait for a few minutes... I finally got my chips and went to get my kid his soda and drink to my wife and me. My last disappointment was the music too loud playing “regueton”... Music should be kind of relaxing in a hot spring place, or at least one of the pools area should be kept with no noise, in case somebody wants to rest... To be honest, I don’t think I would ever come back to this place againWritten 22 April 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about San Carlos
- The best outdoor activities in San Carlos according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in San Carlos on Tripadvisor