Bodies of Water • Beaches
Top Attractions in Playa Potrero
What travellers are saying
- We spent three days in Potrero. The only thing that stopped us from being a five-star experience was the sand color. It sounds like a ridiculous thing to criticize, but the brown sand although very soft, almost resembles mud. Other than that, there are some wonderful restaurants in the area, And if you have a car, it is fun to go to Playa flamingo and up to the high-end restaurants in Las Catalinas. We truly enjoyed our stay.Written 16 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful beach. We got married here in April 2022, so quiet in high season for such a lovely beach. I’m sure we will return again!Written 3 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Costa Rica is amazing, but Jennifer from Rent a Gold Cart made our holiday phenomenal! We stayed for 8 days and rented a golf cart for the whole trip. Jenneifer went out of her way to give us good advice on things to do and places to eat. She is very kind and prompt with her responses. She organized a trip for us with a very knowledgeable guide named Gravin to a secluded rainforest hike with hanging bridges 2 hrs away from Potrero. We had the forest to ourselves. Then he took us to sloth sanctuary where... we got within 1 foot of a sloth! (Plus Monkeys, viper snakes, tree frogs and much more...) We will be contacting Jennifer for our next trip and recommending her to everyone we know. Until we meet again - Pura Vida!Written 26 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We've used Costa Rica Wet and Wild to book three trips during our stay at Playa Potrero and if we had more time here I would book even more! Justin is absolutely wonderful - he is so responsive and had great recommendations for me (it was an extended family trip for all 13 of us and finding something for such a large group is not easy). We booked a trip to Palo Verde, a fishing trip (where my husband reeled in an 48 lbs amber jack! among others) and a catamaran snorkling trip and all of these were wonderful. The pickup was prompt, transportation was clean, the guides were great. I cannot recommend Justin highly enough and will definitely be reaching out to him again to help me plan more family adventures next time we are here! So if you are looking for a great, reliable tour operator that gives you personal attention and answers all your questions - look no further!Written 1 August 2022
- Once again we had the pleasure to sail with Captain Jack ,and again it was all we hoped for ,he found us a good snorkelling spot ,saw mating turtles ,jumping rays and porpoise all in the peace of only the wind in our sails . For a intermit sail call Jack .Written 25 November 2021
- All the staff members are very polite and professional. They speak french, English, Spanish and other lenguajes. We were able to see turtles, lobsters, sharks, octopuses, and a lot of other different species. Definitely will come back to dive with Chris!Written 6 December 2022
- On our family visit to Potrero we spent quite a bit of time exploring through the Sailing Center. The staff (Justin and Erica) were incredibly helpful and welcoming and the guides (Capi and Danny) were extremely personable and experienced.
We rented kayaks and did a fishing trip. We caught so much fish and the little restaurant next to it (Hemmingways) was able to cook our fish for us in a few different preparations (poke, sliders, and fried) that were all great!!
On the fishing trip we saw loads of turtles, rays leaping and twirling over the water, and a pod of dolphins. Totally worth it!!
Thank you to all at the sailing center, you really made our stay in Potrero amazing!!Written 18 November 2022
- Booking with Tour Guanacaste was my best Costa Rican experience! I was highly impressed with how quick they helped me to organize the tours for my whole family. The tours were all punctual and the guides kept everyone entertained. We saw so many of the sights on our wish list and it was so relaxing not having to find our own way around! We definitely recommend this booking system and will book other tours next time we go!Written 2 May 2022
- A beautiful boat, great staff, and excellent food made for a wonderful sunset cruise with friends. I have been on several sunset cruises in the Tamarindo/Portero area of Costa Rica over the years and this one is by far the best if you want a private first class experience. More expensive than others, but worth every penny for the wonderful experience. Very nice that it departs out of the new Flamingo Marina now which is a short drive from Reserva Conchal where we always stay.Written 9 December 2022
- Realest in the game. Very quick responses and amazing tours, anyone visiting the Potrero area needs to try out his tours!Written 21 May 2022
- We arranged three tours through this company and were highly satisfied. We visited mangroves, did a catamaran tour and went to palo verde. All with two young children.Written 21 August 2022
- These buggies are perfect for the roads in Costa Rica. They are so fun to drive and we'll maintained. Vic and his tour guides are so knowledgeable. We saw remote beaches, local fruit stands, monkeys and much more. Pura Vida.Written 12 September 2021
- This was a great studio overlooking the ocean. Isabella was a great teacher and had a wonderful vibe. I would recommend this studio for anyone looking for a beautiful studio with amazing views.Written 8 December 2021
- Absolutely, an awesome day! Highly recommend this tour through Captain Tom (whom we've used every time we've been to CR). We're a family of two, 59 year olds and 29, 28, and 26 year olds. We were picked up by Carlos early a.m., an excellent guide and driver, stopping for a pastry and coffee on the way. Upon arriving in Vandara, we mounted gentle horses to ride to the zip lines (excellent runs and assistants). We also, watched an ox grind sugar cane to make brown sugar, sampled the local coffee and pastry by an "old" baking technique, and slid on a thrilling, water slide. We thoroughly enjoyed lunch made from everything on site. Also, we had a volcanic mud bath then walked into the most beautiful, natural, spring lagoon to swim and experience the waterfall. A few of us also opted for a 15 minute back massage while the others swam in a naturally heated, hot spring pool enjoying a cold beverage. After Vandara, we took a short drive to the Volcan Miravalles which was fascinating watching the steam pour out of the earth. I'm an animal lover so on this tour, I saw peacocks and at Vandara toucans and green parrots. It was a very full day and definitely worth every penny. Go see Captain Tom, he'll hook you up on the zip line tour!Written 29 March 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Playa Potrero
- The best outdoor activities in Playa Potrero according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Playa Potrero on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Playa Potrero according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Zip Line and ATV Adventure
- Beach-mountain & Sloth Refuge Buggy Tour
- Rio Celeste Waterfall and Sloth Sactuary Private Full-Day Tour with Lunch
- Sunset Snorkel and Sailing Trip From Playa Poterero Guanacaste .Privates only .
- Private Full-Day Local Waterfalls Experience in Curubande