Monkey Island Eco Forest Park
I went on a Monday and there were hardly any other tourists. The park has several attractions: (1) the monkeys themselves, which you only see around the entrance to the park; (2) a crocodile farm; (3) a restored Viet Cong military base; (4) and a boat ride around the area, which looked fun, but which seemed expensive. It is 600,000 vnd per boat, probably worth it if you’re with a group. The highlight was definitely the Viet Cong base. Most of the path is covered by a canopy of trees, which made it much more comfortable under the midday sun. There is a restaurant on site. It’s overpriced and mediocre, but will do the job if you’re famished like I was after walking around for a couple of hours.
You can take a tour, go by motorbike, or go on by public transport like I did (which does involve some walking):
GETTING TO AND FROM CAN GIO/MONKEY ISLAND FROM HO CHI MINH CITY BY BUS AND FERRY:
(1) Bus # 20 from Ham Nghi station (5 minutes walking from Ben Thanh market) to Binh Khanh bus station (Bến xe buýt Bình Khánh). This is the last station on route 20.
(2) Walk from the Binh Khanh bus stop to the ferry (5 minutes)
(3) Take the ferry to Cần Giờ. This is about 15-20 minutes long
(4) Get off the ferry, walk to the bus and get on bus # 90. If you walked past the Cao Dai temple on the opposite side, you’ve walked too far. Ask the bus driver or conductor to notify you when the bus arrives at Monkey Island (which isn’t technically an island), otherwise you’ll miss the stop.
(5) Walk from the Monkey Island bus stop to the park, which should take 15-20 minutes.
GETTING FROM MONKEY ISLAND TO THE BEACH IN CAN GIO. It’s only about 4 more kilometers to get to the beach. Again, if you’re on foot, wait for bus 90, which runs about every 15-20 minutes. You’ll get off at the next to the last stop (again, tell the driver you want to go to the beach), and then you’ll need to walk about 1 kilometer to get to the beach. Check out the seaside restaurants while you're there. I highly recommend the salted shrimp.