- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
Sights & Landmarks
Sights & Landmarks
What travellers are saying
- Pretty little church that has an upstairs section with artifacts and archways to look out onto the town square. The main floor has elaborate alters all around the outside. There are silver religious artifacts, textiles and more upstairs.Written 26 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Tuesday 14th June we were on a day tour to Kotor from Dubrovnik. We visited this Serbian Orthodox Church during our walk around the Old Town. It was just a short distance down the road from the Monastery of St Claire, which we had just visited.
Walking along the street this Church was an unmissable sight with it's two large black domed bell towers. The domes are both topped by a gold cross. The Serbian flag hanging over the main entrance is also a feature. Just below the flag is a fresco of a Saint, possibly Nicholas.
The building of this Church was completed in 1909 and on our tourist map referred to as the Church of St Nicholas 1909. It was built on the site of another Orthodox Church which burnt down on Christmas Eve 1896.
The interior of the Church is rather special, it is filled with numerous paintings of Saints. The most eye-catching feature is the floor to ceiling reredos, altar screen. It comprises of four levels of paintings of holy people, in excess of thirteen paintings, all topped with a golden cross.
Also housed in the Church is a rather beautiful silver icon.
A couple of immense paintings of Saints, one we assumed was St Nicholas, fill one of the walls of the Church
A number of ornate silver chandeliers hang from the ceiling including the dome.
There are a number of spectacular silver freestanding candelabras around the Church, standing on the black and white tiled floor.
Sunlight streams through the arched coloured glass windows around the walls.
There is no admission fee to enter this beautiful Church.Written 21 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Although this church is really tiny, there are some very interesting facts about this place. The church today is significant because of the fact that it has two altars, a Catholic and an Orthodox one. It happend because of the wars and the arrival of the Orthodox people in Kotor. So this church was given to Orthodox believers for use. I think it is a nice represent of the the harmonious co-existence of people of different religious.
Another interesting fact is that the floor in the church was made of tomb panels, because until 1930’s the burring were held in the church itself.Written 22 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We visited St. Michael's Church whilst walking around the old city area in Kotor on a one day stop in the city on a Thursday in June. We did not visit the Lapidarium itself (a place where stone monuments and fragments of archaeological interest are exhibited).
The church is not large inside but is intricately decorated with some large oil paintings and a fabulous altar. The church if well-lit from the high up windows and the high dome over the transept.
It is our custom when visiting religious houses to light and candle in exchange for a donation and this facility was available here.Written 21 July 2022
- Most pictures on here are not of the old monastery. All is left now are ruins of this ancient monastery, the earthquake took care of that place many years ago.Written 13 September 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Kotor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly sacred & religious sites in Kotor:See more budget-friendly sacred & religious sites in Kotor on Tripadvisor