Mountains • Lookouts
Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Sapporo
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- A great way to see Sapporo from above. The cable car ride is very much enjoy by the children. Up in the top, it is very cold even with jacket onWritten 29 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The park is really nice in the evenings; lots of people; outdoor food options; good energy. Definitely worth a visit during your stay in Sapporo.Written 12 September 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A good place to hang out and take a walk. Plenty of entertainment and food areas. Lovely to be at night with while walking along the walkway.Written 27 February 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Mt Okura Observatory is some way out of Sapporo, Hokkaido's main city. You can get the ropeway to the top of the mountain. You get a good view of the city and surrounding countryside. By the way, you can get to the Observatory by public transport.Written 9 November 2020
- I only went for the ginko trees for the autumn colors. It was very beautiful. About 10 minute walk from Sapporo stationWritten 30 October 2020
- I visited Sapporo in Winter and spent a bit of time in the underground malls. This one was huge, seemed like you could walk for miles or kilometers. There are many access and exits points here to include entering and exiting department stores. There are several restaurants and shops down here. You could spend all day here. For a high trafficked area, it was pretty clean.Written 19 February 2022
- Visited with family
1) This park can be reached via train and bus. Ensure to read and understand the directions carefully because it can be confusing.
2) Best to visit with a full stomach and bring some drinks and snacks. My family and I visited right before lunch, luckily there was a small cafe inside the park which was quite a walk from the main entrance.
3) There is a bike rental a few meters from the entrance. Suggest to rent one. The park is huge and easier to cycle than walk.
4) There were many attractions to visit but my favorite is the pyramid-shaped museum and cycling around the park.
5) Allot 1 whole day or at least half day to visit. It closes around 5pm so best to start early.
6) It is definitely child-friendly.
7) Best toilet to use is at the pyramid-shaped museum.
8) Wear something comfortable since this is an outdoor place.
The only con I can think of is the insects that appeared around 5pm on the way to the bus station. It was similar to the insects we experienced at the Shiroi Koibito Park.
A must-visit.Written 10 April 2020
- The Hokkado Jingu Shrine hoses four deities, including the Emperor Meiji. The Shrine is approached through a torii. It is bad manners to enter the Shrine through the middle of the torii. The torii is meant to frame the Shrine to give the best view. The Shrine burned down in in 1974, but was rebuilt in 1978. The Shrine houses the guardian deities of Hokkaido, it is worthy of respect.Written 13 November 2020
- I went here and the Haikkaido Museum. Note you can get a combination ticket for both and they are adjacent to each other. So if you see one, not bad to pop over and see the other.
It is described as an outdoor muse, portraying different types of buildings of Hokaiddo. Each building is also a microcosm of rural or city Japanese life - village, barber shop, home etc. Each one is labeled with the purpose, who donated them (some were original homes transported and reassembled) and a recreation inside. I spent about 90 min wandering around. Worth it if you like being outside and taking it slow.
Highly recommend in fall and spring (really anytime you don't mind being outdoors). The park is next door to a park/nature reserve. It was gorgeous in the fall with the foliage and birds. I imagine summer would be great too!Written 22 October 2022
- This is like the Japanese Version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This magical place is based on a cookie with chocolate sandwiched between langue de chat biscuit.
This place has so many photo stops. We did not go in for a chocolate factory tour, instead we lingered around the shops and had hot Choco outdoors.Written 30 January 2023
- You cannot visit Sapporo without a list to the Sapporo JR Tower Observatory to get a bird's eye view of the cityWritten 31 January 2020
- Hokkaido is the birthplace of beer in Japan and none as signature as Sapporo Beer itself. Touted as one of the oldest and most popular beer brands in the Land of the Rising Sun history revealed that it has been brewed in Sapporo since 1877. It was a Tuesday afternoon we visited the Sapporo Beer Museum (サッポロビール博物館, Sapporo Beer Hakubutsukan) that was opened from a former brewery since the Meiji Period.
he museum introduces the history of beer brewing in Japan but also focus on Sapporo rich history and development. One is free to explore the museum at your own pace but our tour gp has a guide to help explain. Along the way, you can try the original Fukkoku Sapporo Bakushu beer recipe, brewed the way it was back in 1877. Beside understanding the process of beer making (including ingredient sourcing) they are also on display the original posters and advertisements Sapporo Beer has used over the years. Definitely interesting and enlightening to learn about the many designs that was popular in Japan in the various different decades
Towards the end there is the (must-have) beer tastings area! They are available at a small fee of 200 Yen a glass. Instead me & wifey opt for the Japanese green tea that has a unique taste (Sapporo beer inside?, haha). A final souvenir shop area and the tour ended just after an hour..
Next to the museum is the Sapporo Beer Garden, which consists of a few restaurants. Among the restaurants are several, atmospheric beer halls, but also the more sophisticated Garden Grill restaurant. We noted that the place can be accessed by the "Loop 88 Factory Line" bus that stops among other places at Odori Station, as there were people waiting for the bus.Written 12 November 2022
- It was already snowing (earlier than expected) when I visited the park in mid Nov 2019. The Park is quiet, and occasionally you could hear the birds singing. The snow is white and fluffy, pouring lightly onto the path that we walked along. There is a beautiful lake within the Park with lots of colourful trees and flowers surrounding, and well decorated by a few Japanese bridges. I just can't stop shooting many nice photos from different angles & locations within the Park.Written 30 April 2020
- I walked around the Government building recently. After a lot of snow, there were small paths carved out from other people around the building. I didn't enter or anything but I enjoyed viewing the exterior of the building and the park. At night, the building was lit up and looked great! The architecture is unique for Japan, so I recommend at least walking by.Written 9 February 2022
- We were lucky to be there on a clear (and snowy) day. We were able to get clear views of the city, including the mountains. The ticket counter is on level 3 and you take a lift up to the observatory. It's worth a visit (if you have time) when visiting the Odori Park.Written 19 December 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Sapporo
- The best day trips from Sapporo according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Asahiyama Zoo, Blue Pond, Shirahige Falls, Ningle Terrace (from Sapporo)
- One Day Highlights Tour of Sapporo
- Explore Lake Shikotsu, Toya & Mount Usu
- Private Hiace & Simple English Driver in Hokkaido(Sapporo Otaru Toya Furano)
- Snowshoe Hike Tour from Sapporo
- The most popular things to do in Sapporo with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Kokuei Takino Suzuran Hillside National Park
- Moerenuma Park
- Mt. Okura Observatory
- Sapporo Snow Festival
- Historical Village of Hokkaido (Kaitaku-no Mura)
Sapporo Attractions Information
|Local Time||Thursday 9:24 PM|