- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
4 places sorted by traveller favourites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- Left with a Great Awareness of Royal Selangor History and an Even Greater Appreciation of the Skill and Craftsmanship of their PMalayan Pewter, Selangor Pewter Malaya, Selangor Pewter Malaysia, Selangor Pewter, Royal Selangor Pewter - The evolution and history of what is today famously known as Royal Selangor is just some of the takeaways you will come to be familiar with after completing the guided tour at the Royal Selangor Visitor Centre. Tucked away in the suburbs of Setapak, Kuala Lumpur, this venue effecfively simultaneously achieves being a museum, a manufacturing factory, an exhibition centre and souvenir shop.
The interior is very well kept (including bathrooms) and our guided tour experience (which I highly recommend) led by the impressive Ravi left us with a deeper awareness of Royal Selangor's rich history and a great deal of appreciation for the level of craftsmanship that goes into their pewter products; the vast majority are molded and created by hand. Swing by on weekdays to see more of the factory in action.
With parking fees skyrocketing in shopping malls and crowd levels returning to pre-pandemic times, the Royal Selangor Visitor Centre is a fantastic alternative for both tourists and locals alike. The guided tour (or self guided if you prefer) and parking is free and the cafe inside serves up good food at reasonable prices.
Growing up in the 90s, the Royal Selangor brand was synonymous with pricey goods and the pride of the nation. Fast forward to today and upon spending time at the souvenir shop, you can definitely find many practical items at various price points. Pop culture based pewter such as Marvel, Harry Potter, Disney, Star Wars and others are definitely worth checking out while sister companies Comyns and Selberan cater to more upscale clientele.
As with most companies, I can't imagine how badly Royal Selangor was impacted by the pandemic and I hope they're able to find their feet again. With almost 150 years of history to their name, I hope this family owned business can still thrive and uphold their quality over time. This visitor center is a good way to showcase the best of Malaysia and exceeded my expectations. I'd easily recommend checking out this place.Written 30 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Overall good experience. However the management should place more signs for direction to the exhibition. Currently they emphasise too much on operation of the cafe.Written 12 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Easy accessible with public transport i.e.
✅🔟mins walking 🚶🏻♀️🚶🏻♂️ distance from Dang Wangi LRT 🚊
✅5️⃣mins walking 🚶🏻♀️🚶🏻♂️ distance from Bukit Nanas Monorail 🚊
✅ With a free 🆓 GoKL bus 🚌 stand in front of the centre to KL city 🌆🏙
Friendly officers 🙋🏽♀️🙋🏽♂️to assist you on your travel queries/ suggestions/ providing travel info within Malaysia 🇲🇾 for your enjoyable trip journey 👍🏻✌🏻
Do drop by anytime upon your arrival
You may book tours or transportation too
More of my travel cum lifestyle sharing via my blog 👩🏻💻📝, 🌐link at profile 🤗😊Written 5 August 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- In a historic building on Jalan Tangsi 11 there is a small bureau with information on KL. Friendly staff can provide you with a map of the city, which is more detailed than the one I got at the airport. They have info about the history of the city and what there is to see and do. E.g. they told me about the free GO KL bus, but also about Thaipusam, the Hindu festival that ended yesterday. Should have gone to their office earflier.
A visit is certainly useful.Written 22 January 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kuala Lumpur
- These places are best for visitor centres in Kuala Lumpur:See more visitor centres in Kuala Lumpur on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for kid-friendly visitor centres in Kuala Lumpur:See more visitor centres for children in Kuala Lumpur on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for couples seeking visitor centres in Kuala Lumpur:See more visitor centres for couples in Kuala Lumpur on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly visitor centres in Kuala Lumpur:See more budget-friendly visitor centres in Kuala Lumpur on Tripadvisor