Points of Interest & Landmarks • Religious Sites
Popular things to do
- Day Trips
- Cultural Tours
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Private Sightseeing Tours
- Sporting Events
- Tours & Sightseeing
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Special Offers
- Ports of Call Tours
- Shopping Tours
- Cruises, Sailing & Water Tours
- Family Friendly
Top Attractions in Kalutara
What travellers are saying
- It is a Buddhist shrine located in the Kalutara District of the Western Province .It has an architecturally unique Dagaba. A beautiful and clean shrine where maintenance is well done.It is located near the Kalu Ganga. It consists of two sections on either side of the road and is connected by a short underground tunnel.With a peaceful environment and historical value, this shrine is a must visit place for tourists.Written 18 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Richmond castle is a blast from the past. When you visit you will receive a short history lesson by a very knowledgeable guide. Don’t be distracted by the obvious need for restoration and conservation, the story and artifacts, as well as the building, garden and surroundings itself are worth a visit. It’s a short Tuk Tuk ride from Kalutara. We went with Pradeep from Freddy Tours +94 77 634 9248 (WhatsApp). He is a cheerful and friendly tour guide. He has good knowledge of the local area and speaks good English. Very accommodating and ensured we had a pleasant journey.Written 2 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I found the hotel to be friendly and there was nothing that was to much trouble.
The room was immaculate everyday and comfortable. The view was stunning from the room and my favourite part of the day was watching the sun go down from the balcony.
The food was superb.. I especially enjoyed my egg hoppers in the morning ... the chefs do a wonderful job and I had no complaints about choice ... the traditional food was wonderful also.
The bar staff were always happy to speak with you and were very accommodating letting my husband watch cricket .. there was plenty of tea and coffee available which I enjoyed as I cant drink beer 24/7
My highest praise goes to the lovely pool guys . I have arthritis and struggle shifting sunbeds , every day they made sure I was ok and had a sun bed and plenty of shade .. I cant thank them enough..
Our rep Nigel was very informative and sorted out a great trip for us .
The only reason it didn't get the full 5 stars was continually being pestered on the beach .. my husband could cope with the banter but it got draining by the second week and it's not nice to be stared at when all you want to do is get some peace looking at the sea .. I do understand they have to make a living..
Thank you for a lovely stayWritten 2 June 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Tudugala Waterfall is located in the village of Tudugala in the Dodangoda village in the Western Province of the Kalutara District.To visit Tudugala Falls, one can easily take a tuk tuk or family vehicle .
When you visit Tudugala Falls you have to go through a rubber plantation. The ruins of an old bungalow can also be seen as you continue along the small footpath.As we continue along that trail we can hear the sound of the waterfall well.This waterfall consists of two deep and shallow areas.During periods of heavy rainfall, a large mass of water flows through the falls.Actually this water is very clean and very cold.Bathing in the cool waters of the falls gives you an unforgettable experience.
I think it's best to take your food and drink with you when you visit the falls.
Because the number of shops and facilities around it is minimal.It is best to go at a less crowded time to have the most peaceful experience. During the holidays, a considerable number of people visit this place. If you want to have a good experience, be more careful about it.Written 18 January 2022
- A really nice place to visit for both leisure & educational purposes....
Calm and quiet...
Natural beauty...Written 23 November 2019
- Its a old church but beautiful to visit. The Sunday mass take place and free parking.over looking the lagoon situated on the gale road.Written 8 February 2021
- I have selected this place for make my assignment. The owner, Mr. Ranjith is one of greatest artist in batik products and wood cravings. His shop is filled with thousand greatest artistic creations. he is very friendly and explain his story from his childhood. I think that he is the best wood craving artist in kalutara area. He doesn't annoy you to buy his products. Best place to visitWritten 3 March 2019
- we went here on our way to our boat trip and our guide was very keen to show us this place and i can see why well worth a look and told us of the monk who sat under the tree that is in the grounds for 25yrs meditatingWritten 18 September 2017
- Agni Wood Burning Handcrafted art is a small store located next to Royal Palms Beach hotel in Kalutara. The art work around the shop/gallery is truly amazing. Nisal is a talented artist who specialises in animal wood burning art.
We asked him if he could do a custom artwork based on some photographs of our horse to which he said no problem. The end result was much better than we could have imagined.
We would 100% recommend Agni wood burning to anyone who visits Kalutara and would strongly urge anyone to go and have a look. Pricing was very reasonable.
5/5 ExcellentWritten 15 November 2018
- we are came to first time in sri lanka with my wife. we stay at 2 week in sri lanka. Dhanusha he meat as airport in colombo. after we went to 5 days tours and 3 execution. we are very happy we seen many interesting places and head about all history in sri lanka. thanks for the dhanusha and your driver raja. we coming to next time in sri lanka and see you again dhanusha and your family. your best of guide and brother in world. we recommend for everyone in traveler you going to in sri lanka. and please contact this guy. he has everything and doing is best all. thanks so much dhanusha again. this is contact for him viber, whatsup or other you can contact him. +94715151234Written 4 February 2020
- Bodhinagala Forest Hermitage or Dombagaskanda Forest Reserve is one of the quietest places in Western Province. This temple is situated in the middle of the forest reserve where you can see small rooms made for monks in the forest too. It is about 3km from the main road. If you are lucky you will get to see different kinds of birds and animals too.Written 6 October 2017
- The church was built in 1876, but is well maintained and very clean. It is on the main road from Colombo to Galle or either way. The Church is very small and can hold about 100 people at a time, but it's interiors are nice, with an old Dutch look. The interiors of the Church are very well maintained. The lawns outside the Church are also well manicured. There is a Buddhist temple opposite this Church. Nice place to stop by.Written 3 November 2018
- Excellent tour operator that gave us a brilliant time in this beautiful country offering great value for money.What a brilliant time we had on trips with Select Sri Lanka. So many experiences that will stay in our memories; elephants, whales, golden beaches, sunsets, friendly people and mouth watering food. Sri Lanka has it all. Gayan the tour organiser made it all so easy and communicated frequently before and during our holiday offering suggestions and tips to give us the best time possible. Great value for money. Oshan our guide for all four trips was reliable, kind and friendly going the extra mile using his local knowledge to ensure that we really experienced additional things to maximise our time. For all these reasons, we are currently in touch with Gayan about our next holiday to Sri Lanka. I highly recommend Select Sri Lanka.Written 4 March 2022
- Unfortunately my holiday to Sri Lanka was cancelled due to COVID-19, but I had booked two trips. I emailed Prasad to explain the situation and then refunded money was in my account within the hour. I was extremely impressed and grateful and will definitely use this company when I do finally get to visit Sri Lanka in the futureWritten 27 July 2020
- We returned to Kalutara after 11 years, for a 3 week stay with friends. Before we departed, I decided to look into the cost a trip to Kandy and the Lion Rock (Sigiriya) with overnight stay in Kandy. Uplanka Tours appeared to have an excellent customer feedback, so I enquired with them. Dunika (the son - it's a father and son business) of Uplanks Tours responded immediately, with a price which was almost unbelievable. I booked straight away, they guaranteed us sole use of the min bus and they did'nt even want a deposit. Just to phone them when we arrived and give them our room number! When we had our "reps" meeting at the hotel, it appeard that we were saving some £67 per person by going with Uplanka Tours! To say it was probably the best money ever spent, would be an understatement. We travelled in a new Toyota mini bus (seats 10 ) and we were escorted for the 2 day trip by Kandy (the dad). He could not do enough for us. We visited all the "attractions" on that particular tour with all addmission prices included, as well as the hotel in Kandy for Dinner Bed and Breakfast.
A few days later we thought we would like to visit Galle, so I contacted Dinuka, and we agreed a price and date for this day trip. Again, Kandy took us and we could not fault his commitment to ensuring that we had an very enjoyable day.
BUT where this company really shone was 4 days before we were due to return home. My wife developed an infection, which required hospital treatment. I texted Dinuka at 6.00pm asking if either of them were available to "taxi" us to the hospital. At 6.30pm Kandy arrived, (he'd only just got back from a day trip), and escorted us through the hospital in 1.5 hours. Had he not been there for us, because of the language barrier, we would probably have been in there or 4/5 hours. But, having dropped us back at our hotel, Kandy refused to charge us for his time or cost!!
THAT'S WHY I SAY AGAIN - "DON'T USE ANYONE ELSE - THESE ARE THE BEST"Written 19 March 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Kalutara
- The best day trips from Kalutara according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Bentota Village Tour with River Safari & Tea Plantation/Factory - All Inclusive
- Yala Safari Day Trip from Bentota /Kalutara /Wadduwa /Ahungalla - All Inclusive
- Udawalawe Safari Day Trip from Bentota/Kalutara/Wadduwa/Ahungalla-All Inclusive
- Private Colombo City Tour From Kalutara
- Half Day Safari at Yala National Park with Lunch from Kalutara / Bentota