State Parks • Nature & Wildlife Areas
Nature & parks in Northville
Top Parks & Nature Attractions in Northville, NY
Nature & Parks in Northville
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
Nature & Parks
Nature & Parks
What travellers are saying
- Very nice and quaint town, very nice people, prices are good, get the ice cream in the middle of town. Otherwise very quiet and conducive to rest.Written 4 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great Sacandaga Lake is really two lakes in one.
The five-mile wide southern end is great for famlly camping, sailing, fishing, and people who like take in broad views across flatter land while fishing or cruising in big pontoon and powerboats. Beaches have more sand, and gradual dropoffs, and there are small islands to visit. Lots of casual dining spots, a few hotels, and even a Wal-mart are at the extreme southern end.
The northern, narrow section of the lake is very different. Stretching for about 20 miles, this section follows the course of the original Sacandaga River, which was dammed in 1930 to create the lake. It averages about a mile wide and up to 80 feet deep, steep hills on each side drop nearly to the shoreline, creating scenic water against mountain views. This section has few sandy beaches. Water access is often via docks tied to the shore. There are almost no stores or other amenities here, and very few spots with public access to the water.
The northern end is more peaceful, but it's still less than an hour from Lake George Village, Glens Falls and the horse racing mecca of Saratoga Springs. These communities offer a wide range of summer fun, plus cultural events, shopping, and fine dining.
Rental cabins are more numerous in the southern than the northern end, and rates tend to be lower there. But it's not hard to find a place at either end if you start searching the winter before your visit, or if you can visit during the May/June or September/October shoulder months.
Whatever type of experience you're looking for, you can find it at one of the two parts of Great Sacandaga Lake.Written 25 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Small and quaint water side park. It’s in the center of Northville, many eateries around to grab some food and have a picnicWritten 21 July 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about Northville
- These places are best for nature & parks in Northville:See more nature & parks in Northville on Tripadvisor