- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
115 places sorted by traveller favourites
Showing results 1-30 of 115
What travellers are saying
- One of the four OBX lighthouses. Great place to stop for a little while. Ranger gave very educational and interesting talk….Written 21 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Some of the most beautiful beach we have seen. Easy access, quiet, uncrowded. There are several access areas with parking or drive paths for the proper vehicle all along Highway 12.Written 24 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This museum was recommended by locals as well as found in the North Carolina Visitor's Guide, and I'm glad we stopped here. It took less than an hour for my hubby and I to go through. It is a nice little museum with a unique story to tell.
Having worked at a museum for 15 years, I can appreciate what all goes into the exhibiting, labeling, and rotating of artifacts, as well as the best use of space and general traffic flow. A few things that caught my eye right away were:
1. The design of the building - the side facing the street looks like the main frame of a wooden ship.
2. First-order Fresnel lens - this is the largest order of lens Fresnel made for lighthouses, and the first one I've been this close to. It's story of survival is pretty incredible.
3. Unique exhibit - how citizens used goods scavenged from shipwrecks including books, tables, and even sewing machines.
4. Panels and displays discussing what all is involved in conservation, documentation, archaeological information, stabilization, preservation, storage,
and displaying of an artifact - the "so what" factors of finding anything from a previous time period or civilization and the basic reason museums exist. Every museum should have this type of exhibit - BRAVO! And the story of Blackbeard's ship Queen Anne's Revenge makes the point - Arrrr! Well done, Matey!
5. Glass wall allowing visitors to view the conservation lab and what happens before an artifact is put in a museum exhibit. People often do not realize that only a small percentage of a museum's artifacts are on display at any given time - again BRAVO!
Some things seemed out of place to me, such as:
1. All the space dedicated to the evolution of diving equipment; I could understand having some diving gear and talking about scavenging shipwrecks, but going into the history and displaying all the different breathing apparatus didn't quite fit in with the "mission" of shipwrecks.
2. The panel on when Hatteras Village received electricity
3. The exhibit on commercial fishing
These seemed like odd "oh by the way" topics, too far distantly related to shipwrecks for the space they were given.Written 27 November 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The ocean center is a small museum, but completely lovely! Our extended family loved it! We had kids ranging from 4 - 10. There is so much to see and do for a small museum! The director, Shirley, is kind and has a fantastic way with kids! They loved the scavenger hunt, the puzzles, learning about sea life, exploring the fate of their hypothetical turtle egg, and feeding the crab! The ice cream next door was a nice way to top it off. Highly recommend!Written 25 November 2022
- Here now for my second time. Such a relaxing atmosphere and quiet even in mid July. We are loving our stay with family. Great memoriesWritten 12 July 2022
- A must go at least one time if you’re staying in the Avon area. Looks old and frump and ready to fall, but feels sturdy when you are on it. Great place to fish, check out the waves, relax and read and take the kiddos. America’s pier!!!Written 29 July 2022
- This is a fabulous spot for windsurfers. Parking is great, and there is a lovely outdoor shower. The water is slightly deeper here, so you can bring a hydrofoil. Have fun!Written 3 August 2022
- After reading other reviews, my friend and I stopped at the gallery for some unique locally made gifts and we were not disappointed. The gallery has an amazing about of things to choose from. While some of the things are rather expensive, particularly the handmade pottery and paintings, but there are many reasonably priced items as well. The owners of the gallery are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the various artists. The only problem I had was limiting what I bought!
Sadly, after 21 years, at the end of October, the gallery will be closing it's doors for good. However if you are visiting the Outer Banks and you're looking for a wonderful experience, make the drive to Salvo and visit and enjoy the Pea Island Art Gallery.
.Written 8 September 2022
- If I was not shopping I was in the sand or the water .
Very clean beach .
Pleasant people and very pet friendly.
Not a morning person , but relished every sunrise but one .
Was so hard leaving , but can't wait to get back and make more memories.Written 12 June 2022
- If you're looking for a gift/specialty shop that sells quality items at remarkably affordable prices, this is the place. Everything still has that beachy, OBX vibe but with a more artistic flair. We not only found some cute items for ourselves but managed to pick up some gifts for family. I especially loved their handmade, paper Christmas ornaments. The owners were friendly and even dove into their stockroom to see if they could find more options for the items we liked the most. I'm wishing today I'd bought a few things I left behind. Would definitely return if I find myself on Hatteras again.Written 19 August 2021
- We took the vehicle ferry from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke Island and had a great experience. Pulled up to the ferry around 8:45am and was able to drive right on and the ferry left shortly after we got there. We got out of our car on a beautiful morning and enjoyed the trip. We even saw several dolphins playing in the water. We returned around 4pm in the afternoon and had to wait just a short time - maybe 30 minutes. Sat on the upper level of the return ferry and enjoyed the views on the way back. Will definitely do this again! Thank you!Written 12 June 2022
- What a great find!!! The nicest owner, Vicky, was so accommodating even though I walked in 10 minutes before closing. She cut us 2 beautiful snowy grouper steaks, shared how I could prepare it and gave me the seasonings! Also while her daughter steamed fresh shrimp and then gave us 2 corn that we could grill because I had forgotten to order it steamed. She gave us 3 different sauces for the shrimp. I ABSOLUTELY recommend this place. The grouper came out amazing! Shrimp and corn were delicious. We’ll be back next OBX trip! #harborhousehatterasWritten 4 July 2022
- We drove 2 hours south from Kitty Hawk to surprise our kids with a horseback ride on the beach! It was worth the 2 hour drive!
The kids walked freely on 2 beautiful horses, Gus and Shadow, along the beach. The horses were extremely calm and well-trained. There were 2 very kind and personable guides that walked beside the horses. The horses walked on the beach and in the surf. They walked the whole time, so perfect for young kids. They even let mom ride with son for a portion of the ride. They also were very friendly in taking lots of family pictures we asked them to take.
They sanitized the provided helmets before giving them to our kids.
They also allowed our kids to feed the horses carrots (which we brought with us) after the ride. The kids LOVED this part!
We wore shorts, shirts and water shoes - no need for jeans or tennis shoes. This is definitely a casual beach ride, no shoes is fine!
We would highly recommend making a day of your trip down here. We wish we would’ve brought our bathing suits and beach gear, as the beach down here is calm, clear, not crowded and beautiful! There are also tons of amazing shells to collect!Written 4 September 2020
- An easy walk with interpretive signs beside the famous lighthouse.
We found the explanations helpful and enjoyed the habitat variety.Written 9 November 2022
- Great local seafood shop…had scallops twice this past week and also 100 local oysters…all delicious! Shop also sells lots of other neat things. Loved the place, and had awesome customer service! Will be back when in town!Written 14 November 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Hatteras Island