- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
5 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- This compound on the southern tip Campobello Island, New Brunswick is the summer retreat of President Franklin Roosevelt, Eleanor and their family. The original cottage was completed in 1897—the year before my paternal grandmother’s birth and was given to the Roosevelts as a wedding gift in 1908, by Frank’s mother Sara Roosevelt. Here in August 1921, Roosevelt at age 39 [he became president in 1933] was stricken by a paralytic illness, believed to be polio, leaving his lower extremities permanently paralyzed. FDR could no longer enjoy summers here, but Eleanor and their many children enjoyed the cool summers each year. Armand Hammer [think Arm & Hammer baking soda] purchased the property in 1952—the year of my birth. When Eleanor died a decade later, Hammer deeded the property of 2,800 acres jointly to Canada and the US, making it a true international park.
There are many original furnishings in the house that saw many additions throughout the years. Surprisingly, Eleanor did not want electricity and modern conveniences, opting instead to focus her children on nature and a simple life. The house and information center are in Canada, so our Maritimes tour group didn’t have to rummage through luggage to find our passports.Written 3 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Walking to the lighthouse is outstanding. The price is unchanged from prior years, C$5. The views are amazing and we had few people to contend with once we made the trek. We went just as visitors were allowed with the tide going out. You might want to wait a bit so that the path is completely above water. We drenched our shoes walking across the rocks. In the past, rocks were marked to indicate the best way to navigate through them. It’d be helpful to have it done again.
I’d definitely recommend good shoes! We saw a number of people struggling over the rocks in flip flops.Written 10 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Crossing the bridge from Maine to Campobello Island transports one to gorgeous maritime views, cries of seagulls and the sounds of the waves. Few people to distract from those views. Getting there is a long drive but worth the visit!!Written 17 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The people and the view was very good!! Enjoyed our visit and Stay overnight on the island. Highly recommend staying at the Friars cottages.Written 24 August 2022
- This was on my bucket list and it was an amazing adventure! Captain Mackie and Robert were excellent at providing a warm welcome and an interesting and informative tour on a beautiful evening. We saw Minke whales, Finback whales and lots of porpoises and seals. Also some bald eagles and ospreys along the way. It was truly a spectacular experience and I was thrilled to be a part of it. So interesting to hear about the work they are doing with the Campobello Whale Rescue and their respect for these animals. Thank you Captain Mackie Greene and Robert Fitzsimmons!Written 10 September 2019