Kayaking & canoeing in New York City
THE 5 BEST New York City Kayaking & Canoeing
Kayaking & Canoeing in New York City
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Kayaking & Canoeing
Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Water Sports • Kayaking & Canoeing
Kayaking & Canoeing
What travellers are saying
- Can not say enough about how great our experience was with Manhattan Kayak! Clear explanations of how to use equipment with safety instructions, well maintained kayaks, organized and along the way, guide Jay pointed out NYC sights and shared some interesting NYC info. Highly recommend!Written 8 May 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a really great experience, you can kayak (for free) in a protected embayment right on the Hudson River in lower Manhattan with views of the World Trade Center, Manhattan, and New Jersey. They say you are limited to 20 minutes, but it's usually very quiet on weekend morning and you can usually stay out as long as you like (gets busy in the afternoon). They are open 9 to 4:30 on weekends in summer, and also Tue, Wed & Thu 5:30 to 7pm (depending on weather and water conditions). They have free lockers and will lend you a lock. You have to be over eighteen (or with a parent), be able to swim (but you won't) and wear a lifejacket that they provide. Your butt will get wet, but in summer things dry fast.Written 15 July 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I first came here back in 2016 for the free kayaking. It was a blazing hot day and I just HAD to find a way to get out on the water, somewhere in the city. Manhattan Community Boathouse was just the place! I felt so welcomed and had so much fun during my first visit that I decided to become a volunteer.
5 years later, I still spend almost every summer weekend here, helping the organization offer the public the priceless (FREE!) experience of paddling on the Hudson river. Sharing this unique experience with the public is one of my favorite things to do in the city, and seeing the smiles on people's faces makes it all worth it. As a volunteer, I enjoy the extra training classes offered and volunteer-only kayaking trips we get to go on as well!
A few things to know for the 2021 season, some of which is different from prior year reviews: MCBH is operating by reservation to prevent overcrowding. They are open Saturdays and Sundays from 12 PM - 6 PM through October 10. You can reserve your spot up to 2 weeks in advance on the website. Paddlers of all skill levels are invited to participate as long as you know how to swim. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. They offer changing rooms and lockers with locks provided, so you can bring a change of clothes if you want, because you will get wet. There's no public restroom here though, so be sure to stop in Clinton Dewitt park at 54th & 11th Ave before walking over if you need to use the facilities! Otherwise, a portapotty along the bike path near the boathouse is the only toilet option.
Did I mention it's all free? The program is run entirely by volunteers, and funded solely by donations from the public, but there is absolutely no pressure to donate. Whether you come as a volunteer or as a member of the public, I think this is the best free activity in NYC!Written 21 July 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you have some experience with standup paddleboarding, you can rent boards without taking a formal lesson. Though we didn't take a lesson, we were given some instruction before hitting the Hudson. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The boards were inflatable ones in great condition. The price is right at $25 for one hour. This is one of the best deals in NYC! And it offers great views of the Freedom Tower.Written 14 September 2014This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about New York City
- These places are best for kayaking & canoeing in New York City:
- Yacht Hampton Boat Rental
- Flightsclear LLC
- Manhattan Kayak Company
- The Downtown Boathouse
- Manhattan Community Boathouse