Nested in a lot of fauna, the place is quiet. Good for walks and personal reflective times.
Checking in was quick.
I declined the buggy ride as it is difficult to hoist my wife up to it. Expected better direction, service or assistance as I have to push a wheelchair looking for my courtyard suite. The 3 staff I met did no better.
The suite’s furnishings have seen better days. Good to provide some escort/orientation for future guests to the premises/use of the facilities. Quick response to queries on Digital concierge. Most info downloaded via scan code, so you need your phone handy.
Disappointed with the whole experience at the resort. The amount paid and the condition of the room didnt justify for it. Some fixtures were on the verge of breaking down, cleanliness of the room was poor with stain marks on different parts of the room/fixtures and dusty curtains. The shower head was on the verge of falling off. Under the cover, bedsheet was quite sandy upon check in. The actual room didnt look like what was advertised on their website. The table was stained with marks. Overall quite disappointed with the room as we were looking forward to take a short break after a long 2 years of not being able to go anywhere due to work commitments. Very mediocre reception even when we stated it was our honeymoon.
P.s: not trying to spoil Amara’s reputation but just as to create awareness for other travellers who plan to book their stay here and in hoping that the management would do something with their room and its run down fixtures.
We booked the Family Suite for 3d2n stay at Amara as our year-end staycation.
We were quite lucky to arrive at the hotel a bit earlier before check-in time (3pm) as the queue started to pile up due to manpower shortage at their reception area. When it was our turn to check-in, we were asked to wait for another 30 minutes as the room wasn't ready yet. They gave a voucher for a welcome drink at their restaurant Shutters which are choices of pretty basic beverages, nothing special about it. Staff at the restaurant are also understaffed, and ignored other people first while attending to a few.
Once we got they keys to our room we felt a bit of a relief and some excitement to see our room for this stay. It was quite disappointing as seeing the room was like the feeling of a rushed handover of a bare unit. Bed didn't have a canopy like other photos show, the sofa on the living room was quite nice and large, issue is that there's only a single pillow which made it feel a bit incomplete. Room furnishings also seem lacking. They were also probably doing some repairs on Larkhill rooms as someone kept on knocking to our room to enter and check the aircon so we really didn't get to relax a bit after check-in.
While the bathroom spacious, looks decent and clean, issues are the shower hose drops once you have the water running after a few minutes so you got no choice but to hold it or use the rain shower instead. The water heater also was not working so we had to bare with the cold. Worse part is the water pipes can be heard from the bedroom even if you close the toilet door and main bathroom door which made it hard to quickly get to sleep at night.
Breakfast at Shutters was also disappointing. For the nasi lemak only the rice was served hot, then the sambal prawn and chicken rendang were really cold already. The understaffed situation was still there where staff just ignored us even we were calling them and raising our hands up high. They served the bread and fruits quite late and only after we were done with our meal.
We were looking forward to the Sky Pool at lvl 4 so we could unwind. This facility wasn't also not maintained well. Shower area has been starting to get mossy green. In photos the pool good but that's thanks to smart wide angle shots. It was just a really small pool. They imposed a 10-person limit capacity, but there were only 5 pool beds there.
Good thing we checked out on the 31st and able to spend New Year's Eve somewhere better. We were expecting something better for the premium paid for this stay. We were planning to have a stay here with our doggo next time but I guess that won't happen anymore after this disappointing stay.
Horrific nightmare. Wouldn’t stay in this hotel again even if you paid me.
1. Room still had food debris on the floor left behind by the previous occupant.
2. Beds were not made properly (could still see the mattress underneath). Skirting was stained.
3. Room furniture chipped and falling apart. Held together by sticky tape.
4. Bathroom not been cleaned nor maintained for a while. Mold growing alongside the edge of the sinks. WC has scum that has been accumulated over time.
5. Bags of rubbish and laundry and laundry bins lined up along the corridor outside our rooms. When I complained on the first day, they were removed but reappeared on the last day of our stay.
6. Swimming pool has no F&B service. When I asked if we could order some drinks, a staff came up with a photocopy of a menu stapled together.
7. Pool roofing cracked with a major piece missing. Mold growing along the edges of the pool.
8. Carpet in public area frayed and not secured at corners. Safety hazard.
9. Dirty wet towel hanging on the railing of the public area.
10. Extremely limited room service menu. Even then, they called to say they can’t deliver nasi lemak because they’ve run out of the nasi lemak rice. The staff said she would talk to the chef for alternatives and call me back but she didn’t. They just went ahead to deliver the remainder of my order.
11. Breakfast at Shutters Restaurant cost almost $30 but serving was appalling. It consisted of 1 sausage, a few slices of bacon, less scrambled eggs than in a McDonald’s Big Breakfast and a quarter of a mushroom. The fruit “platter” which was to be shared by all at the table consisted of one slice of rock melon, two slices of watermelon and three grapes. It was only when I asked, was I told that if we wanted more, we could ask for more.
12. When I told the restaurant staff that the resident peacock was having a go at the food and knocking the crockery to the ground, the staff said he had something else to do.
13. Housecleaning did not do a proper job. Left behind a cup of tea I’d made for myself the night before.
14. Housekeeping failed to replace bath towels after cleaning. I don’t actually need the towels to be replaced each day but if you insist on removing them, at least replace them as well.
15. Plumbing doesn’t work properly. Takes minutes for the water to clear from the bathroom sink. No hot water after 11 pm.
16. Limited sound proofing. I could hear each time someone above me used the bathroom sink or ran across the pool deck.
Expect delays, Zero service.
Writing from the hotel. Staying for one night - check in took one hour (pls note quite unbelievably there is zero seating in the lobby while you wait), when they told us room wasn’t available - after much argument, a room was made available. They have (kindly) offered free breakfast but no follow ups. At 10-05pm no one is at the reception of a 5 star hotel !!! And no one picking up the phone for service ‘gold’ (!!), In room dining or concierge!
Completely ruins our special occasion and avoid unless you get no other hotel. We went to Rasa Shangri La…100 times better