We booked the Family Suite for 3d2n stay at Amara as our year-end staycation.
We were quite lucky to arrive at the hotel a bit earlier before check-in time (3pm) as the queue started to pile up due to manpower shortage at their reception area. When it was our turn to check-in, we were asked to wait for another 30 minutes as the room wasn't ready yet. They gave a voucher for a welcome drink at their restaurant Shutters which are choices of pretty basic beverages, nothing special about it. Staff at the restaurant are also understaffed, and ignored other people first while attending to a few.
Once we got they keys to our room we felt a bit of a relief and some excitement to see our room for this stay. It was quite disappointing as seeing the room was like the feeling of a rushed handover of a bare unit. Bed didn't have a canopy like other photos show, the sofa on the living room was quite nice and large, issue is that there's only a single pillow which made it feel a bit incomplete. Room furnishings also seem lacking. They were also probably doing some repairs on Larkhill rooms as someone kept on knocking to our room to enter and check the aircon so we really didn't get to relax a bit after check-in.
While the bathroom spacious, looks decent and clean, issues are the shower hose drops once you have the water running after a few minutes so you got no choice but to hold it or use the rain shower instead. The water heater also was not working so we had to bare with the cold. Worse part is the water pipes can be heard from the bedroom even if you close the toilet door and main bathroom door which made it hard to quickly get to sleep at night.
Breakfast at Shutters was also disappointing. For the nasi lemak only the rice was served hot, then the sambal prawn and chicken rendang were really cold already. The understaffed situation was still there where staff just ignored us even we were calling them and raising our hands up high. They served the bread and fruits quite late and only after we were done with our meal.
We were looking forward to the Sky Pool at lvl 4 so we could unwind. This facility wasn't also not maintained well. Shower area has been starting to get mossy green. In photos the pool good but that's thanks to smart wide angle shots. It was just a really small pool. They imposed a 10-person limit capacity, but there were only 5 pool beds there.
Good thing we checked out on the 31st and able to spend New Year's Eve somewhere better. We were expecting something better for the premium paid for this stay. We were planning to have a stay here with our doggo next time but I guess that won't happen anymore after this disappointing stay.
Horrific nightmare. Wouldn’t stay in this hotel again even if you paid me.
1. Room still had food debris on the floor left behind by the previous occupant.
2. Beds were not made properly (could still see the mattress underneath). Skirting was stained.
3. Room furniture chipped and falling apart. Held together by sticky tape.
4. Bathroom not been cleaned nor maintained for a while. Mold growing alongside the edge of the sinks. WC has scum that has been accumulated over time.
5. Bags of rubbish and laundry and laundry bins lined up along the corridor outside our rooms. When I complained on the first day, they were removed but reappeared on the last day of our stay.
6. Swimming pool has no F&B service. When I asked if we could order some drinks, a staff came up with a photocopy of a menu stapled together.
7. Pool roofing cracked with a major piece missing. Mold growing along the edges of the pool.
8. Carpet in public area frayed and not secured at corners. Safety hazard.
9. Dirty wet towel hanging on the railing of the public area.
10. Extremely limited room service menu. Even then, they called to say they can’t deliver nasi lemak because they’ve run out of the nasi lemak rice. The staff said she would talk to the chef for alternatives and call me back but she didn’t. They just went ahead to deliver the remainder of my order.
11. Breakfast at Shutters Restaurant cost almost $30 but serving was appalling. It consisted of 1 sausage, a few slices of bacon, less scrambled eggs than in a McDonald’s Big Breakfast and a quarter of a mushroom. The fruit “platter” which was to be shared by all at the table consisted of one slice of rock melon, two slices of watermelon and three grapes. It was only when I asked, was I told that if we wanted more, we could ask for more.
12. When I told the restaurant staff that the resident peacock was having a go at the food and knocking the crockery to the ground, the staff said he had something else to do.
13. Housecleaning did not do a proper job. Left behind a cup of tea I’d made for myself the night before.
14. Housekeeping failed to replace bath towels after cleaning. I don’t actually need the towels to be replaced each day but if you insist on removing them, at least replace them as well.
15. Plumbing doesn’t work properly. Takes minutes for the water to clear from the bathroom sink. No hot water after 11 pm.
16. Limited sound proofing. I could hear each time someone above me used the bathroom sink or ran across the pool deck.
Staff: friendly and helpful. Housekeeping was responsive when we requested for help.
Room: upon check-in, noticed there were sand on the sofa (all over!) requested for housekeeping to vacuum.
Afterwhich i also realised there were sand all over the blanket as well??
as my kids were very tired and sleepy we just wanted to get it over with and the housekeeping staff offered to just flip the sand off the sheets, we accepted.
Doors are visibly old and main door cant close properly unless you give it a gd push.
Toilets were thankfully clean.
Soundproofing seems gd as we dont hear people chatting or walking past.
View was tranquil.
Breakfast: we did not opt in for rooms with bf but we decided to have the bf at the hotel’s restaurant Shutters (paying for bf set)
The food was terrible, some eg hash was cold, “salad” was a tiny piece of lettuce & 1cherry tomato, rest of the food was not hot just lukewarm.
Whether we are paying or not, nobody deserved to be served food of this quality at a reputable hotel in Sentosa.
Sky Pool: small but clean.
Kids pool with slide, water quite clean and no leaves floating inside. bitten by mozzies so spray lots of repellent on the kids.
For starters, requested for a balcony room since it’s our anniversary but checked in to a non balcony room, and was told it depends ln availability. There was no effort in informing us earlier, when called to try and switch rooms for our second night stay the reply was the same. Didn’t feel like they were trying at all.
Room’s are pretty dusty to begin with, quite skeptical on their cleanliness level especially during such vivid times. Called for room service for new towels didn’t arrive in the end. Toiletries were not replaced.
Both pools were super run down, toilets door on the roof top pool can’t be closed. Dream pool was extremely dirty, wasn’t well kept at all.
Wouldn’t recommend for any kind of celebrations or staycation experience.
More like a hostel than anything else.
Booked a villa for my partner as it we wanted to enjoy a private time with a pool after a long hard year.
Check in at 3pm but room was not ready until 4pm. Was told by check in staff that housekeeping lacked of manpower so room was delayed.
Once we got the room card, the buggy was taking too long that we decided to walk. Reached the room and it is very disappointing. Leaves everywhere, outdoor bathtub was dirty, some room lights not working, towels had stains and 1 was torn. Room looks nothing like the photos advertised online.
Saw a housekeeping staff Maria or marina (couldn't remember correctly) and asked for change of towels. Within 5 minutes we got new towels. Probably the only efficient staff we encountered during the stay
Called the reception to feedback but calls are unanswered. There were many people checking in and only 2 counters open so they would have been busy. But what happens if it is an emergency??
Lack of service, staffs seemed unhappy of working here.
Overall, this place feels more like a chalet than a 5 star hotel. Only thing missing is a BBQ pit in the room.
With the price paid of over a thousand dollars, money is better spent in any other hotel in sentosa. Highly not recommended.