Date of stay: September 2022
I had previously booked another hotel for my stay in the same area. However, upon carful scrutiny of the reviews, I decided to cancel it and book with Poppies. I was really happy to have made this choice. Not only did Poppies live up to the expectation, also the other property which I had booked had a very rundown appearance from outside.
1. Poppies is located at the east end of Jalan Poppies - I almost touching Jalan Legian. For those who are new, Jalan Poppies is an extremely narrow lane with just enough space for only one vehicle in any direction. This means that if you have to hail a ride, you'll have to walk down to the main road
2. It's a good 10 min walk from Jalan Pantai Kuta - the main road along the Kuta beach. This would mean that every time one wants to go to the beach, it's a good walk
3. The hotel has stand alone cottages (around 15) comprising of one room with a big semi open toilet and a bath area. There is a small nice verandah along each cottage. The entire property has a serene resort feel
4. The hotel has a mineral water dispenser for the guests to refill their flasks provided in the room. Guests who are very picky, would have to arrange their own bottled water either from the hotel room service or from a nearby mart
5. There are a couple of laundries available in the vicinity. I tried the one who had their own washing machines and dryers inside the shophouse over the ones closer to the hotel which would take your clothes to their home (didn't want to take a chance)
6. There are a couple of mini marts nearby which can provide your stocks of beers
7. Poppies restaurant is just a minute stroll from the Hotel - again an open environment
What went well
1. Airport Transfers - My booking was inclusive of airport transfers which was very helpful. Though a print transfer costs approx 10-15 USD each way only, I didn't have to worry at all
2. All cottages are in the ground level. However, privacy of the guests are ensured
3. Rooms were very clean
4. Beds were extremely comfortable. We had an extra bed for my teenage daughter which was also great
5. We had the choice of our breakfast being served in the room. It was a great feel to have your breakfast amidst the natural surroundings
6. They have some of their socket outlets to UK which came in handy
7. With a lot of greeneries, there are mosquitoes too. However, the mosquito coils and mats are provided by the hotel which took care of the same and there was no issue.
1. Breakfast options are limited. The hotel should consider to increase the options
2. Room service is available only till 11PM. Too bad if you are suddenly hungry late at night
3. The tour rates are on the higher side. One can get private taxis at a lower rate inside the lane only
4. We had our dinner on day-1 - found nothing to boast off for the price we paid
5. Toiletries (soap, shampoo etc.) are provided on a refillable basis. The hotel can consider to provide single use bottles instead as it has more classy feel. There was no issue though with the quality of the toiletries
Room Tip: Cottages 26 and 27 offers total privacy even when one sits in the verandah
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Response from Poppies Bali, Owner at Poppies Bali
Responded 17 Oct 2022
Poppies is very grateful to you for the high rating you have provided, and thanks you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review of so many aspects of Poppies and its immediate surroundings. We have taken note of your suggestions for improvements. We'd like to point out that guests do not need to buy their beers etc in mini marts, as we will stock your fridge with with a minimum of 6 cans at a time, for the same price, and this is indicated on the fridge door. We would also like to mention that in our opinion our breakfast choices are in fact quite comprehensive.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.