After a long journey arrived tired and hungry. Was asked to pay for transfer and NYE gala dinner then and there I expressed a preference for paying for everything at the end. They were not happy about it so I paid.
The next day I received a call to the room telling me I need to come to reception to pay. There were no please or thank yous. I told them I paid yesterday. Within an hour the Russian lady from the staff was knocking on the door telling us we need to pay. Once she recognised me she remembered I had paid yesterday. There wasn't an apology or any acknowledgement that it's not acceptable to knock on customers doors and demand payment.
The website advertises two visits from housekeeping a day. We usually have to make two phone calls a day to get one visit. The guys cleaning the rooms work hard, but I don't think there is enough of them for all the customers.
Definitely 2 star service. I understand mistakes happen, but staff need to apologise and do there best to make sure they don't happen again. Faulty towers with sun.
This resort is the southernmost property in the Maldives and is well-worth the flight! After 27 hours of flying, I was in awe of the white sandy beaches and crystal clear turquoise waters. The seaplane and the speed boat brought us to reception and we were kindly greeted by Alla, one of the kindest people you will ever meet! After getting things sorted out with our room, we finally got to start enjoying the island. Samad, our "room boy", was exceedingly kind and helpful and made sure our room was perfect every day. He also changed out our beach towels and made us feel so welcome with his conversation. I was very happy that the management addressed all issues promptly and we were able to enjoy our stay on the island - it ended up being more magical than I could have ever imagined! Also, if you have time, visit the local side of the island! The locals are extremely nice and make you feel at home. We visited on Unity Day and were impressed by how included we were made to feel.
Book your Canareef stay today!!! :)
We have just returned from a weeks stay at Canareef - 5th - 12th Dec. We travelled from Manchester UK via Abu Dhabi to Male. We then waited for a connecting flight to Gan airport.
Upon our eventual arrival at Gan, we were greeted by a hotel representative and escorted to the speedboat. We set off across to Canareef resort - brilliant ride across!
Upon arriving we were shown to the reception were we were told about the resort and its facilities, before going on a buggy to catch lunch at the Kilhi restaurant. Breakfast lunch and dinner are all buffet service with your own allocated table throughout your stay. You can pay extra for a la carte but we stuck to the all inclusive.
We then got a buggy to our jacuzzi villa - 621. Amazing - upon entering it had a large bedroom/living area with desk, bedside cabinets, smart tv and a seating area. Patio doors opened up onto our private decking with two sunbeds, chairs and table. Inside there was also a fridge, bottles of water ( replenished daily ), kettle and tea/coffee. There was a dressing area with chest of drawers, ample hangers, 2 robes and a safe.
The bathroom......fabulous. Large with 2 basins, outdoor shower ( though under shelter), towels, beach towels - all in all great.Outside - jacuzzi and sunbeds. This area was so lovely and private - definitely upgrade to a jacuzzi villa if you can.
Air con unit and ceiling fan were needed and well used!
We had two bikes provided and we did use them but it was so humid we mainly stuck to the buggy service.
The resort itself is very spread out as the island is long and thin. At one end there is the beach bar - with sunbeds, jetty and the bar. Here there are 2 showers and toilets. We snorkelled in this area a few times - we did see some lovely fish but the coral is sadly bleached.
At the other end of the resort is the Kilhi restaurant and the Dhoni bar- next door to the huge swimming pool. The Dhoni bar is were the afternoon snack is served and there are 3 pool tables, table tennis, 2 dart boards and a small selection of board games are available.
The swimming pool is fantastic - with plenty of loungers around it. We were there with about 50 other guests - it was quiet and idyllic, though we were told guest numbers are expected to rise in Feb. But we loved it being quiet - added to the charm.
The property is emerging from covid times - it was hit hard as it is so far to reach from Male. But we were told that from Feb next year there are direct flights planned from Dubai to Gan, which will cut out the need to wait around Male airport. There are areas that have not been used for ages and as such are overgrown - BUT the staff were working really hard to clear areas and get the rooms ready for guests. It will take time but they will get there. We saw maintenance teams replacing fixtures and fittings and the lads on the beach were brushing up the seaweed/grass every morning - thank you.
We would like to say a huge thank you to the Canareef staff as they were all so friendly, smiling and welcoming. Especially Jamal in the restaurant and we think his name is Ishmail - housekeeper - so friendly and chatty.
Go and give Canareef a chance - you will love it - oh yes, in a jacuzzi villa!
We had the same situation. Room service robbed us, the guy who was cleaning our villa
He stole the money from my jeans. Almost 950$
Hotel staff did nothing to help us. Skip this place! Poor standard and very far from male
During past 2 years I visited Maldives 4 times, staying in 6 resorts for at least 4 weeks. My wife and I stayed at Canareef this whole November 2022, 4 weeks on FB meal plan in Sunset Beach Villa.
1. While transfer includes a local 1.5h flight and 15 minutes speedboat it was perfectly arranged by the hotel. We had minimum waiting times.
2. Villa is great. Lots of place to store your belongings, big terrace with fantastic sunsets.
3. Room cleanin service was excellent. We needed it at the same time very day and we got that. This is pretty rare.
4. Food was great. A lot of choice and staff is really trying hard to cook dishes (that are cooked in front of you) to your liking.
5. Fantastic gigantic pool.
6. Special thanks go to Mr. Shafiq Rasheed for helping with everything we have requested.
7. Buggy service is rapid. We never waited for a buggy for more than 5 minutes. This is rare on Maldives. There are other big resorts where waiting for a buggy for 15-20 min is a norm.
8. Cats! There are cats on an island. That's awesome!
9. The hotel has one swimming location that takes 10 minutes buggy ride. But the spot is amazing. Looking like those Maldivian pictures from the magazines.
10. Gym. If you need to do workouts or have a cardio - you've found a good place. One of the best gyms on Maldives I've seen so far.
Overall this was a really great stay. Value for money is great as well.
Unfortunately there are some cons as well.
1. Vegetables and salads (especially mayonnaise) during meals are left in room temperature. And while it hits 30+ celsius they get spoiled really quickly. Sometimes it feels that they were made 2-3 hours prior the meal and other times they we cooked just before. The difference is very big. I would very much propose staff to keep salads and vegs like they do with the desserts, cheese and cold cuts - in some kind of open fridge.
That's it with cons, not that much indeed!
Wish all the best to the resort. When they clean the shore off the seagrass it can easily become one of the best 4* resorts on Maldives.