During past 2 years I visited Maldives 4 times, staying in 6 resorts for at least 4 weeks. My wife and I stayed at Canareef this whole November 2022, 4 weeks on FB meal plan in Sunset Beach Villa.
1. While transfer includes a local 1.5h flight and 15 minutes speedboat it was perfectly arranged by the hotel. We had minimum waiting times.
2. Villa is great. Lots of place to store your belongings, big terrace with fantastic sunsets.
3. Room cleanin service was excellent. We needed it at the same time very day and we got that. This is pretty rare.
4. Food was great. A lot of choice and staff is really trying hard to cook dishes (that are cooked in front of you) to your liking.
5. Fantastic gigantic pool.
6. Special thanks go to Mr. Shafiq Rasheed for helping with everything we have requested.
7. Buggy service is rapid. We never waited for a buggy for more than 5 minutes. This is rare on Maldives. There are other big resorts where waiting for a buggy for 15-20 min is a norm.
8. Cats! There are cats on an island. That's awesome!
9. The hotel has one swimming location that takes 10 minutes buggy ride. But the spot is amazing. Looking like those Maldivian pictures from the magazines.
10. Gym. If you need to do workouts or have a cardio - you've found a good place. One of the best gyms on Maldives I've seen so far.
Overall this was a really great stay. Value for money is great as well.
Unfortunately there are some cons as well.
1. Vegetables and salads (especially mayonnaise) during meals are left in room temperature. And while it hits 30+ celsius they get spoiled really quickly. Sometimes it feels that they were made 2-3 hours prior the meal and other times they we cooked just before. The difference is very big. I would very much propose staff to keep salads and vegs like they do with the desserts, cheese and cold cuts - in some kind of open fridge.
That's it with cons, not that much indeed!
Wish all the best to the resort. When they clean the shore off the seagrass it can easily become one of the best 4* resorts on Maldives.
Four of us (adults) travelled a day and a half from the UK in November to reach Addu, the southernmost Atoll in the Maldives... and it was worth it!
We gambled a little with the weather; November is the end of the rainy season, but quieter than December to April. The few rain showers we had were warm and probably prevented more sunstroke! We still saw plenty of sun, and the air was wonderfully warm throughout (29-33C, and the water was 26-29C).
The staff were friendly, polite and professional, without exception. The all-inclusive buffets three times a day were wonderful and varied: always something to suit everyone, and my wife's gluten intolerance was catered for with great care. There was only one functioning restaurant for most of our trip, but I others are under renovation and opening soon.
Unlike some other resorts, this island is quite 'wild', with lovely trees, lizards, birds and fruit bats! For us, the fact that it was less like a glossy brochure was a GOOD thing - we hated hearing that seaweed is dredged from the shallow waters around some other islands just to improve people's photos... leave nature alone!!
Indeed, although there wasn't much rubbish on the beach, we would suggest the resort considers providing garbage bags in the villas as an option for those guests who wish to actively participate in picking up the odd plastic and other items from the beach: Ocean pollution is everyone's problem!
We visited Addu primarily for scuba-diving, and we used the resident dive company: Forest Blu Diving, who provided a first-class diving service. Nisal and Maasha are lovely, relaxed, considerate people who care about their customers and the diving experience they provide. They are also fantastic divers who have taken the time to learn about their Atoll and know the best dive sites depending on conditions. Our party of four were not particularly experienced divers but we all felt completely at ease with the clear briefings and safe dives. We enjoyed learning of Nisal's diving experiences and marvelled at how little air he used every dive! The gear was in great condition; the boat and crew were wonderful; we loved every one of our fabulous 14 dives and wished we could have fitted in more! 28-degree water, 25-metre viz and life like an aquarium: mantas, sharks, Napoleons, turtles and beautiful reef life! Thank you so much for taking the time to show us the highlight dives of this beautiful Atoll: Mudahon (repeatedly!), Bodu Hoholha, the British Loyalty wreck (a fabulous dive), and the numerous other peaceful, chilled reefs. We will return!
In addition, we explored the island, found good snorkelling, and swam in the Olympic-size pool. There were three bars and two pools to hang out by, and plenty of space for peace and quiet. We used the (reasonable) gym, played tennis and enjoyed the complementary bicycles (though many of these could do with an overhaul) ...no matter, the walking was flat, and buggies were also readily available! We would also recommend the Dolphin Cruise - we saw over 100 Spinner Dolphins!
The facilities were okay, and likely to be improved-upon constantly, along with the renovation of older villas; all a reminder of the effects that Covid-19 has had on tourism throughout the Maldives.
In my view there is currently not much here for kids; I would recommend this as destination for adults; again, this suited us entirely.
All in all, we had the most amazing holiday and will return one day in the hope that not too much has changed!
Thank you, all at Canareef!
We’ve just returned from a two and half week stay in Jacuzzi Villa on all inc basis. This was our second stay and we loved the place even more than before (in 2019).
The most comfortable way to reach the resort is flying Sri Lanka Airways via Colombo. They operate a daily flight to Gan Island.
The Resort is located on one of the largest islands in Maldives. Unlike other hotels we’ve had a chance to visit, Canareef offers great opportunity to integrate with nature. Parts of the island are wild. There are even several lakes surrounded by bush and trees. The grounds are massive. Walking or biking to all key sites kept us fit. We easily did 7-10km each day. The gym also has great equipment.
Canareef offers an unpparelled sense of privacy. The Jacuzzi Villa is of a good size (not that you will spend much time there). We stayed all mornings at the lagoon beach and bar (offering a picture perfect view of white sand and turquoise lagoon). After lunch we used to hang out in the olympic size pool. The Villas offer good connectivity. Netflix is easily accessible on the TV sets. All areas are kept in exceptional cleanliness.
The staff was very professional. Chef Lakshman’s kitchen crew are really top notch guys. They used to prepare special meals for us (inc sushi platters).
I strongly recommend Canareef. It has a lot of character and charm definitely the best southern resort. We will definitely be back in a year or two.
We recently returned from a week at the Canareef Resort in the Maldives. To say it was paradise is definitely understating the fact.
The trip started by being picked up at Gan airport and being whisked away on a speedboat to the island paradise which is Canareef. White sand, clear sparkling sea water and coral reefs are the first things that greet you as you arrive, followed by staff service that was warm and ultra efficient. Nothing is too much trouble and we felt instantly relaxed and welcome. The accommodation was tasteful and very comfortable with ample room and a beautiful view. The food was exquisite, prepared by a professional and passionate chief. A great selection of drinks and cocktails from the bar and plenty to do including pool and table tennis amongst other things.
The Olympic size swimming pool was like climbing into a warm bath and with tennis court and gym, you are spoilt for choice. We used the cycles provided to get around the island, but a buggy is on call for the less energetic. We found this very helpful when, after snorkeling from the beach, one of the buggies returned both us and our bikes back to our residence.
There are a selection of pursuits on the water on offer, including snorkeling, paddle boards kayaks and a dolphin spotting trip, which we did and saw a large amount of spinner dolphins up close and personal. There is also a well equipped dive centre on the island with a qualified guide.
We had the time of our lives, feeling like we were the only on our own private island. We will definitely visit again, and suggest you do too.
Canareef resort is one of the nicest places I've ever had the pleasure to stay in.
Let me provide some details to why I have this impression:
1. The resort is huge, about 4.5 km in lengthand the infrastructure is very well maintained, therefore is easy to get around using either bycicles or the buggy service(free of charge);
2. The Sunset Villas are the best, IMHO, because you have your own beach 10m away from the villa, the sea is calm and the water is like in the movies :)....on top of that, there were times when we were the only persons on the beach, or in the sea....the feeling of being by yourself in that majestic place is worth every penny;
3. The water is not deep at all....you can walk 4-5 hundred meters before water level goes beyond 2 meters...perfect place to learn how to swim, do snorkeling, etc( we've seen very small sharks in the water near the beach twice in 10 days);
4. The staff is ultra friendly, you can see it from the moment you checkin until you checkout ....they will fo everything in their power to make you welcomed and enjoy the experience;
5. The food and drinks are good, not the most diverse( the morning omlet was my favourite), personally, being an european, I would have wanted to taste mango, but they don't have it....the alcohol drinks are very,very expensive ( a bad wine from Spain, that you find in the supermarket at 3-4 $, in the resort it costs ~25 $); the resort wine,white or red, cost 7$/glass and is much better
6. You can do a lot of activities( water sports, scuba diving, they have tennis fields, gym, etc)...again the prices are not cheap
7. Wireless was available in our villa and the main facilities, free of charge.
The thing I enjoyed the most in this resort was the SILENCE and the calm of the area, it was not crowded with turists( according to the manager the resort can facilitate 516 turists, and they have 370 staff members) and we were able to disconnect from the noise and crowd of our daily life.
I would definitely like to go back one day,