We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

If you're thinking of buying Marriott Vacation Club Points - my advise is: DON'T!! The points are a bad deal no matter how you look at it. If foolish enough to buy directly from Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI) you will be $13-14/point which, once you seal the deal, will only be worth, at most, $3.50-$4.00/point moments later. You will also pay substantial yearly maintenance fees which will typically cost more than the value of the 7 night stay you can obtain with the points. Moreover, neither Marriott nor MVCI stands behind this product. They have no repurchase program. The points do not seem tied to inventory. When talking with an executive at the MVCI corporate office, they say they have no program for repurchase, that funds are tied up, that there are legal issues, and so forth. They say they can't buy-back points because the points are tied to inventory. That begs the question that, if they would re-purchase points, then they would get inventory back. Even if they won't give full value (right now they offer $0), they could buy back the points at a discount and resell them at profit IF they were tied to inventory. I suggest looking up the various class action suits in play on this issue.

To put real figures to this, I (stupidly) spent about $30K in points in 2012, then another $30K in points in 2015 - all with promises that I was not to worry because I could always resell them, and they were increasing in value every year (yes - for MVCI, but NO - for everyone else - they neglected to mention that). I pay about $3,300k/year for these points which, if I book 12-13 months out MIGHT get me two vacations which are worth about $2,200 (based on what I could buy the same weeks, at the same time, same location on Red Week). So, my $60K is nearly a total loss (I might get $17K on resale), and my maintenance fees cost more than the value of the place I'm staying. This is a HUGE loss for the many MVCI owners who purchased points.

By the way - the timeshare purchase weeks used to be an ok deal, but their values are quickly approaching zero as well. If you wait too long, you'll have to pay $2K to a broker just to liquidate. If you want out, I suggest going to using a licensed real estate agent who specializes in timeshare sales/liquidation. You know you have the right broker if they DO NOT charge any fees up front.

Shame on Marriott and MVCI for this scam.

My advise: STAY AWAY!

94 replies to this topic
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

We are so disappointed to hear that you do not see value in your Marriott Vacation Club purchase. As a valued owner, we would really like the opportunity to address your concerns and work to get you on vacation. Please give us a call at 800-860-9384 or send an email to customer.care@vacationclub.com so we may assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

We own a two bedroom weeks villa at the Marriott Ko Olina in Oahu. We purchased our timeshare on the secondary market a few years ago. We love it! Marriott has tried several times to get us to convert our weeks to points. We have said; "no" each time. On the surface it sounds good. However, there is important information they leave out. The most notable is: 1. You points maintenance fees are much higher. 2. If you chose to resale down the road as mentioned, there is no buy back program. AND, to make it worse, Marriott will charge a $2 transfer fee for each point. So, in my example, Our timeshare weeks if converted to points would be worth about 4,700 points. So, if I found my own buyer, Marriott Vacation Club would charge my buyer $9,400 to transfer title into their name PLUS a $300 education fee PLUS a $95 first right of refusal fee, PLUS another $150 document fee. This has never been explained to us when they were trying to convert our weeks to points. NO THANKS. We will continue to enjoy our weeks and will never convert. BUYER BEWARE of MVCI points system. It's a good deal for MVC but a bad deal for the buyer. Shame on MVCI for being so greedy and withholding this information from unsuspecting buyer's.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

Xenon7, we are happy to hear that your weeks that you purchased at the Ko Olina Beach Club have been working well for you. The Vacation Club Destinations program is available to those who find the flexibility of the program suitable to their own vacation style, and may not be appealing to everyone. Information to enroll ownership weeks from the secondary market into the Destinations program is available to those who are interested in learning more about the program. Please contact Customer Care or Owner Services if you have any questions or concerns.

4. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 May 2017, 20:05

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

Agree. The Timeshare is a separate company now and Marriott Vacation Club is only a good place to rent where you want to go but not to buy. See Class action lawsuit - nfllp.com/Cases/Consumer_Antitrust_and_Other…

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

Don't know if this company gives you a good deal but the terms are fairly clear.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

Our experience is that a deeded Marriott Property provides a premium holiday.

We have experienced no difficulty in exchanging one Premium Marriott property into another Premium Marriott property through II.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

You don't turn your week to points. Your maintenance fee doesn't change either. You have 3 usage choices with your week now. 1. Occupy at home resort 2. Exchange with I.I. 3. Trade into Marriott Reward Points. Enrolling your week into Destination points simply allows a #4. Option. Elect to use Destination points. You would only elect to use Destination points if you were not going to your home resort. Once enrolled, you no longer pay an I membership and eliminate their fees. MVC is NOT taking anything away from what you currently own. Your deed stays the same. They give you more ways to use your week

Newport Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

That is great information to know. I am currently at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas using my home week and have a "tour" scheduled for tomorrow. I think I will cancel based on what I am reading here.

10. Re: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2017, 02:35

Reply to: Beware - Marriott Vacation Club Points - A Bad Deal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted