We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

Scranton...
Level Contributor
332 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

I just discovered that I can bid for an upgrade on my flight to London from Newark in May. I thought I had to wait and see if the airline emailed me.

I've never flown with them before so I have no idea of Economy Class is OK.

Is it too early to consider bidding for an upgrade?

Has anyone done this successfully, and if so, what did you bid?

(Hope I am in the correct forum for asking this).

78 replies to this topic
Scranton...
Level Contributor
332 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

bump

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,706 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

Like buying any ticket, the advice if you see a price you like buy it and don't look back. So in this case I guess bid a price you are happy to pay and see what happens?

There is no significant difference between economy on different airlines, so if you were happy on AA you'll be be happy on Aer Lingus (or indeed vice Versa!) - offer what it is worth to you, you can do no more unless cost is not a factor - then why not buy Business in the first place?

Edited: 28 February 2017, 04:22
Scranton...
Level Contributor
332 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

Thank you. I'm glad to hear that economy is "apples and apples," since my first transatlantic flight in nearly 30 years took place last year (UA and Icelandair).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,562 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

Aer Lingus will "rate" your upgrade bid. They have a graph meter on the booking page showing where your bid is on a scale of Poor to Excellent, with corresponding color bands going from red to green.

My last experience, for what it's worth, was summer of 2015 and my $400 bid (each, for 2 of us) were accepted for IAD -Dublin and return.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

I thought the food in Aer Lingus Economy was considerably better than my usual United food. If you do bid and win, please return to let us know how it sorted out for you.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
332 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

Thank you, IrishFan and SunnyUnlimited.

I will let you know how I make out!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,442 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

I flew Aer Lingus recently Trans Atlantic and they sent us an email that said we could bid on an upgrade. They had a graph meter like it described in post 4 and the amount we'd have had to bid was well beyond what I was willing to pay.

I agree that in economy, it's all pretty similar. Our meals on Aer Lingus were nothing special. But neither were the meals on any other trans Atlantic airline I've flown recently. My flight was ORD-DUB and back. They did have seat back TV screens which not all airlines do, which was nice. But on the way over I slept. And on the way back, the movie selection was pretty crappy anyway. And these days you can take a tablet and have your own entertainment, anyway.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
332 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

Well, I blew it. \

By the time I made up my mind to bid, the option was no longer available. Oh well...easy come, easy go.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

I recently flew from BOS to SNN with an Aer Lingus economy ticket. I then bid $750US for an upgrade in the Aer Lingus auction. I received an email confirming my bid and price. Three days before the flight a friend got upgraded for the minimum bid of $380 even though he had the same economy fare. I called Aer Lingus and they said the rules for upgrades are out of their control. I received the turndown email 24 hours before my flight. When i got on the flight, there were still 5 empty seats in business class. Has anyone figured out the rules.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus

Yes, lots of people have figured out the rules. You bid an amount you are prepared to pay in order to be upgraded, and if there are X number of business class seats available, they will go to the highest X number of bidders. By the very nature of this system, some passengers will inevitably pay more than others. You were obviously willing to pay $750 at the time you bid that amount, so you should have been happy your bid was accepted.

Reply to: Bidding for upgrade on Aer Lingus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted