We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on changing flight time,please!

OK
Level Contributor
19 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on changing flight time,please!

My daughter booked us on a trip through United that flies on Air Canada from Denver to Toronto, and then on to Heathrow. It returns from Gatwick on Lufthansa, and then switches back to Air Canada in Toronto. She bought cheapest available, so I am sure they aren't easily flexible. First of all, who do I go through to try to change return times on flights? United? Air Canada? Lufthansa? i have never changed a flight time and am baffled where to start. I want to check on extending the time to a later date for two passengers of our four in London before returning, and if that isn't an option, she had scheduled a six hour layover in Toronto to see Niagara Falls, but did not take into account going through customs, etc. so we were wondering about moving our 6:30 flight later in the day or even until the next morning as it looks like that would not be enough time to get to the falls and back for check-in. Also, on the three hour check in on international, can that be done online or does it have to be at the airport if there is no checked luggage?. Any help is appreciated, as I am not sure where to start.

16 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

why not ask your daughter to check if timing can be changed? she did the booking and will know where she booked the flight, although i would imagine that aircanada were the source.

to be honest, i doubt that any change can be made, so you will just have to live with the schedule

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,287 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

Oh, my! Reads like a bit of a pickle.

First, you need to check with the daughter who booked this 'interesting' flight schedule who she booked it with? Did she really use the direct website of United, or have you assumed she did so? If not, how did she book the tickets?

Secondly, she/you need to ascertain what the booking and fare rules were, to know if you have any flexibility at all. If it was the cheapest type of ticket, where neither cancellations nor changes are allowed, then you need to see if anything is salvageable for those wishing to make changes.

As to the Niagara Falls lightning fast visit: How much do you value you that to be prepared to throw money at changing your schedule to allow for it, even if it is possible? If it's just an excursion, what will you do with your luggage, anyway?

SWT

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,510 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

You booked through United so call United but before that log into the booking and see the change fee and the difference in price. You can do that online with the the link change flights and go through the process as a test to see the cost and then decide if it is worth it. I would say no

Canada
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

6 hrs in transit to see Niagara Falls, Do not even try.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

Do Lufthansa fly from Gatwick to Toronto ? Might this be a code share ?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,068 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

I think Lufthansa LGW - YYZ is operated by Air Canada Rouge.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

To change the flight is going to probably cost you at least a $350 change fee per ticket, plus the difference in fare, if you can change it at all.

You're right. Six hours is not enough time to go to the falls.

Agree, you need to speak with whatever airline the tickets were booked through. If your ticket number starts with 016 it was United.

Edited: 20 March 2017, 22:57
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

<<<Also, on the three hour check in on international, can that be done online or does it have to be at the airport if there is no checked luggage?>>>

Check in online and plan to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. Yes, even with carry on only. It's much better to have too much time at the airport than to be one minute late because you cut it too close.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

Remember you will preclear US immigration and customs in Toronto, so you need to allow time for that.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on changing flight time,please!

Sounds more like she purchased the tickets through a 3rd party vendor.

You need to get your story straight before she calls any one. Are you changing the time or the date? as you say " I want to check on extending the time to a later date for two passengers of our four in London"

Also is it one ticket or multiple tickets?

6 hours in Toronto to see Niagara Falls, forget it as you will need to be at the airport 3 hours before checking back in and it will take you at least 60 to 90 minutes to get through customs in Toronto.

Reply to: Need advice on changing flight time,please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted