We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

Montrose, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

Hi,

Flying to Hong Kong tomorrow from Auckland. Flight from Auckland 'transits' at Gold Coast for a couple hours and then we board the same plane to Kuala Lumpur and then onto Hong Kong.

My question is (may be stupid but just double checking) are we allowed to buy food/snacks in New Zealand and take these on the flight with us? I'm not sure what the rules and regulations are with regards to this over in Australia/New Zealand!

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

You can have the food on the flight before landing in Gold Coast.

Edited: 21 March 2017, 11:58
Montrose, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

So we wouldn't be able to take this food on the next flight?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

As long as you don't leave the secure area you can take the food into Gold Coast Airport ... why after 4 hours would you want old New Zealand sandwiches? They actually have food outlets in the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

I'm not sure about how the transit flow goes in Gold Coast airport for AirAsia X passengers. According to the reviews in Chinese from the passengers on China Airlines from New Zealand to Taipei, which would stop in Australian cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, some of their duty free items were confiscated. The writer said even on the stopover flights when you land in Australia you still have to follow the relevant act. So not sure if this will be applied in Gold Coast airport. But you can buy some food from Gold Coast Airport for the journey to Kuala Lumpur.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

This AirAsia flight is rather strange (unless things have changed in the last few months) in that you are actually not in transit but enter Australia.

Some passengers have not been allowed to embark in New Zealand because they do not possess the relevant entry requirements for Austalia.

Montrose, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

Do you know what requirements they are? We're from the UK, going by what I've read we should be ok.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong

I found this on their website so maybe the airport are allowing passengers to be in transit now.

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=808&name=AirAsia+X+Flies+to+Auckland%2C+New+Zealand!

Reply to: Flying from Auckland to Hong Kong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted