We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

Hello, I'm flying to YYZ from MEX with a connection flight at DFW with American Airlines and I didn't pay for any checked luggage so my ticket only includes a carry on and a personal item to go with me on the plane. Do you think I'll have any trouble with both of my flights if I travel with a backpack and a suitcase? (they both follow the measures that says on the website of AA).

Thanks and have a lovely day x

27 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

as long as the suitcase is overhead sized, then you will have no issue. People all the time have a backpack and a suitcase sized carryon.

Just remember there is no 3rd item, so no purse, laptop, etc

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

Laptop can stay in the backpack.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

Unless you booked one of those new "no overhead bin access" fares (which you probably did not as I don't think they would be offered on that routing) you'll be fine. Unless you are in a very high numbered boarding group. Then who knows. Might wind up checking the luggage that would go in the bin.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,270 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

'Do you think I'll have any trouble with both of my flights if I travel with a backpack and a suitcase? (they both follow the measures that says on the website of AA).' You should have no problems if you adhere strictly to the rules.

The baggage measurement should include the handle and wheels. If your bag is 'a little' larger in one dimension or another, consider what will happen if 35 or 40 people on your flight have bags that are 'a little' larger than what is allowed. You should also be prepared to put your backpack under the seat in front of you rather than in an overhead locker.

The overhead locker space isn't exceptionally generous on the A319s but it seems even less generous on the 737s. If you manage to book a seat in a bulkhead or emergency exit row then bear in mind that the floor around the seat must be clear during takeoff and landing; the overhead lockers above the bulkhead seats may have crew baggage in them too.

If you think your carry on bag might be too large to fit comfortably in an overhead locker then pay for the checked bag when you check in on line. Doing so will make things easier for you and for others on board the flights.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
536 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

Much will depend on your boarding group number and how full the flight is. I fly American regularly and they generally make a pre-boarding announcement that they are expecting a full flight, if you are in Boarding Group 7 and above, you are unlikely to find space in an overhead bin and you are welcome to check your baggage free of charge at the check-in counter. You probably don't want to do this on your first leg because it will mean having to collect your luggage at first stop in the USA (DFW both ways) and re-check for your second flight. What you can be sure of is, those passengers in Boarding groups 1-5 will mostly have a roller bag suitcase and a laptop bag/backpack. They will get on the aircraft and take up much of the overhead bin space - I know because I am in boarding group 3 and it is often a race to get space in the overhead bins anywhere near your own seat. If those passengers can't find space near their own seat, they take up space at the seats behind them. Also, I cannot believe the size of some of the bags that people dare to bring on and then they can't even lift them into the overhead bins - ugh! I have to say that American Airlines staff are not great in checking the size of bags and enforcing the size restrictions - at least that is my experience at PHL, ORD, JFK, EWR, LAX, SFO and DFW. The end result is that more times than not, those passengers in the later boarding groups are told that there is no further space on the aircraft and you have to check your luggage.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,986 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

Your "personal" item should not exceed 18 X 14 X 8 inches and should fit under the seat in front of you.

It is described as a purse, a computer bag, a camera case or a small backpack.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,352 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

I frequently travel with a roller board carry on bag and a small back pack as my personal item. As long as it fits under the seat in front of you, it should be fine.

Note what the others said about boarding groups. It depends on the plane, but typically the standard announcement is anyone in group 7 or higher (which really is just groups 7 and 8) may have their bags checked if the overheads fill up. I was on two full AA flights last week with boarding group 6 and we had no issue at all getting space in the overhead right above our seat.

Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

Mutiny, I hope my flight is not full. I have read about this several times before and I'm kinda scared, but I truly hope me and my family have no trouble at the airport. Thanks for your review, it was really helpful. And thanks to everyone as well.

Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

wes032, thanks for the information. We plan to travel with the same luggage just as you do in your normal flights, but I have a question that I just forgot to ask in my previous post. What's Group 7? and Group 6? Do you mean Group of 6 people? This is my first time flying with AA and I don't really know what's that. If me and my fam are 6 people does that mean we're Group 6? or it depends on your seats? Also, if my flight is full I get the right to make my bags checked without any charges? I just don't want to pay anything extra. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.

You are really worrying way too much about this. If your suitcase meets the dimensional requirements for a carry on they you will be allowed to carry it on. If there is no room left AA will check it through to your final destination for no charge. If you are unsure pay the $25 at check in and check it. It is really pretty simple

B.

Reply to: American Airlines Carry on and personal item.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted