We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

I live in Burlington Vermont but usually fly to Europe out of Boston or Montreal due to cost. Is it possible to buy trip insurance for a trip combining two tickets on two carriers for one trip. For instance, could I buy a round trip ticket between Burlington and JFK on Jet Blue and another ticket on a different carrier for a flight between JFK and Europe? I called Roam Right and was told I could buy insurance for such a trip, but I don't think the rep understood what I was asking and it sounds a little too good to be true. He didn't even inquire about time between the Jet Blue flight and KLM flight.

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,328 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

You buy trip insurance for your whole trip. It is not paid for by flights unless you are buying the insurance from the airline for each flight separately.

Your travel insurance should cover your whole trip so it doesn't matter how many flights you take.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

So what if I arrange for a jetblue flight that lands an hour before the KLM flight, and the jet blue flight is two hours late? I can't believe I could get insurance for that.

Again, two separate tickets. Not one ticket with two airlines included in one trip.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
39,885 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

Insurance policies aren't a one size fits all. They all offer different cover. It's up to you to check that the one you buy suits your needs, which is why its important to read the policy carefully.

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

There'll generally be requirements that any unprotected connections have "sufficient and/or reasonable time between flights", IF they'll accept that particular risk at all.

Though, unless you allow a silly amount of times between connections the odds are they'd contest any claim to death and never pay out.

So I agree, the broker had no clue what you were talking about.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

Read the terms of any policy you are considering (there are links to Roam Right's policies on the insuremytrip.com website in the event they are not on the Roam Right site) and see if there is an exclusion for claims relating to losses incurred when you fail to make a connection and you allowed less than a minimum amount of time between flights. Any such exclusion might appear in the section where the missed flight connection benefit is covered, or it might be at the end of the policy in the general exclusions section.

Glacier National...
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

Yes, but check the Ts & Cs carefully.

UK
Level Contributor
8,467 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

There are insurance policies that cover unprotected connections (mine does), but the insurers will specify a minimum time. I heard somewhere that it's four hours with many US policies; my insurers have a less specific definition of what's "sufficient", they merely say that the scheduled arrival time needs to allow me enough time to make it to check-in before check-in closes.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,328 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

You asked if you could buy insurance but you didn't say that you wanted coverage for "unprotected connections". That is special coverage that is not included automatically in every policy. I would never take 2 unprotected flights and expect to make them on the same day. I'd only take one the day before or very early in the AM for a 2nd flight leaving way late at night! Insurance cannot cover you for every possibility.

Sometimes you ,the consumer have to be smart in the type of ticket you buy!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,593 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

Have you checked the JetBlue website. JetBlue now partners with a number of International airlines and you might be able to book the entire trip on their site.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?

You need to be careful with "missed connection" coverage. It is intended to cover your missing such things as a cruise, safari or organized tour and not missing a unprotected flight connection en route to your destination. Indeed my policy's "missed connection" coverage wording has been tightened up to specifically state that. RoamRight's wording is slightly more ambiguous but you can see the intent is the same. And the flight delay on my (and RoamRight's) policy must be 3 hours or more, and of course you need to add more time to that for clearing immigration, baggage claim and customs and checking in with onward airline.

And, even if you did get coverage for missing an unprotected connection, the benefit (payout) is only in the region of $500. The RoamRight coverage is $200 to $750 depending on the policy. A new walk up fare to Europe from JFK is going to cost a lot more than that.

If you want to fly with an unprotected connection on separate tickets - even if you have insurance that covers you - you need to allow a ton of contingency (not just time) to allow you to get to the ticket split airport if your first flight is canceled or badly delayed. On the rare occasions I do this I allow for three backup flights to the intermediate airport or six hours between flight, which ever is the longer. And the last time I did that my first flight was delayed (due to weather) by more than two hours. It's covered in the top question - https:/…Connecting.On.Separate.Tickets.html

Edited: 16 April 2017, 08:53
Reply to: Trip insurance for 2 airline tickets on different carriers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted