We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

Ryanair have introduced a new cabin bag policy to be implemented in November. I flights booked our flights a few weeks ago to travel in November - this policy was not known about back then.. Cabin bags now have to be put in the hold, or you can guarantee it a spot in an overhead locker by paying for Priority Boarding.

We are happy to shove our small case (which I would in the past have taken on board) into the hold. However my husband will take his laptop. The size for a personal bag is 30x30x30cm. No laptop bag is that small. So how can we get around that?

No way will he put it in the hold.

The only other option is to pay for Priority Boarding to ensure that we can take a bag on board with us.

Any bright ideas?

20 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,620 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

If you want to guarantee you have the laptop as cabin baggage then the best bet is to get priority boarding, there isn't any other way around it. Depending on where you're flying to it's from £5 I believe.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

I would just pay the fee. Discussed here:

…bt.com/lifestyle/travel/travel-advice/ryan-…

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

Yea. I think we'll just have to pay up.

Seems unfair as it wasn't a consideration when I booked the flights.

We are only going for a long weekend so can travel very light clothes wise, but the laptop has to come.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

Smartphones or tablets are smaller and many hotels have a business room for guests to use the computer,

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

i dont see why you think it is unfair. the new baggage rules have been known for a month now. the cost of priority booking can be quite low so for peace of mind, just cough up the 4€ or so.

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

It is unfair as I booked before these rules were announced. I have travelled cabin luggage only on many flights - with different airlines previously.

I rarely fly Ryanair - but this was one of the few flights to my destination on the days and times we required.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

I'm flying before November and thought my conditions sound like yours.

I do have Priority boarding in order to print return boarding passes before I leave.

The way I understood that 90 bags could go in overhead and Priority booking guaranteed being in that 90 when 90 had been placed in the overheads any more were placed in the hold free of charge.

Also a small second bag, such as a laptop, could be taken on board and should be placed under the seat.

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

63joe - if you are flying before November then the new rules won't affect you at all.

My flights are mid November - but booked in early August.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

What I was trying to say your rules do not sound different to now.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy

This is the e-mail I got yesterday prior to my upcoming flight.

What can you bring onboard?

Avoid unnecessary excess baggage fees

Approved cabin bags

1 bag which must not exceed 55x40x20cm in size and 10kg in weight. 1 small bag up to 35x20x20cm may be carried per passenger.

Unapproved cabin bags

Oversized baggage will incur a €50/£50 fee and be removed to the aircraft hold. Use it, don't abuse it or lose it.

Stick to our cabin bags policy

We have limited space onboard

Small means small

Your small bag e.g. handbag, laptop bag must be stored under the seat in front of you. Keep your jacket on your lap.

Size matters

Only 90 cabin approved bags fit onboard. Our staff will use the sizer. Make sure your bags fit.

Get your cabin bag on first

Add more travel extras to your booking before you fly

Add priority boarding

Board first, get first access to the overhead lockers and relax.

Reply to: Ryanair New Cabin Bag Policy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted