We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel flight through illness

Hull City Of...
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cancel flight through illness

M y husband has been advised not to travel on a flight to USA in a weeks time

We are insured What i need to know is when i contact Netflights and Delta will i be penalised financially for cancellation Even though he is ill I cant just leave it and not show up I am in a state of worry not knowing the best thing to do

thanks Beatrice

11 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,279 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancel flight through illness

You won't be 'penalised' other than if your flights/accommodation weren't refundable or changeable you won't get your money back. You will need to contact them. Most insurers require that you get an invoice/receipt for your costs minus any refund which is what they pay minus any exclusions. Assuming your medical condition is covered by your policy. I would also check whether anything is changeable, assuming that is an option.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancel flight through illness

If you have travel insurance you should contact them and ask what documentation they require. I hope your husband is better soon.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancel flight through illness

The airline will not give you any money back. That is up to your insurance.

B.

Hull City Of...
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancel flight through illness

i understand that, I was bothered that they would impose a large fee for cancellation a few days before we would have flown even through illness i will ring my insurers for guidance , but thanks for the support Beatrice

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancel flight through illness

No, there is no cancellation fee.

You just lose any money you have already paid for travel, accommodation etc. - which will hopefully be refunded by your insurance.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancel flight through illness

The airline should refund you government taxes, less an admin fee. Sometimes this admin fee is almost as much as the taxes!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancel flight through illness

You are insured. Good.

The insurance will pay according to the policy the financial damage. Hence even if the tickets would be non-refundable, the insurance would pay you for the financial losses.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancel flight through illness

》We are insured What i need to know is when i contact Netflights and Delta will i be penalised financially for cancellation Even though he is ill I cant just leave it and not show up I am in a state of worry not knowing the best thing to do《

What you need to look at is the fare rules and conditions to see what amount is refundable. Normally, insurance companies will only pay out for the non-refundable portion of the fare (check your policy for details). You therefore need to contact either your TA or the airline (contact depends on whether you booked with agent or airline) to cancel, and then you can submit your claim with the insurance company.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,213 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancel flight through illness

Speak to Netflights to cancel. The airline should send them a cancellation document detailing any refund and showing how much has been forfeited. Speak to your insurers. Generally they send you a claim form to be completed, part of which needs completing by the GP or consultant. You send completed claim form and cancellation documention from the airline to the insurers. They process the claim and may contact your GP.

Hopefully your husband's illness isn't related to a non disclosed pre existing condition. Any pay out would be less the policy excess, presuming it has one.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancel flight through illness

I recently contacted cathay pacific on behalf of in laws who could not travel due to ill health. Upon providing medical evidence, they gave a full refund on non refundable tickets. Not just for the passenger who was taken I'll, but his wife as well who was to fly with him. Hope your husband recovers quickly, and your outcome is a positive one.

Reply to: Cancel flight through illness
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted