We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about layover in Frankfurt

Save Topic
Question about layover in Frankfurt

I have a flight operated by United from Washington DC to Frankfurt, Germany next Sunday, and my layover in Frankfurt is only two hours and then I have a flight (operated by Lufthansa) to Helsinki, Finland (my final destination.) Will two hours be enough time to go through immigration in Frankfurt? This will be the first time I ever had to go through immigration in this particular airport and I don't know what to expect.

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about layover in Frankfurt

Yes, you have plenty of time, no need to worry. You will go through Immigration and your passport will be stamped, you will go through airside security which is usually pretty fast, and then you can go to your gate.

I have done this with just an hour to spare and had no problems.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
756 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about layover in Frankfurt

It should be. Frankfurt will be your entry point in to the Schengen zone so you will need to need to clear immigration. If your flights are on one ticket then follow the signs for transit passengers and somewhere on the link there will be a immigration check. Hopefully any queues will not be too long and you not be subject to the same level of as I have experienced at some North American airports. Also you will not need to collect your bags as they will be checked through to Helsinki. Security will also need to be recleared but this is pretty efficient and you won't be made to take your shoes off. I found that the security staff were polite and friendly. The exact opposite that you may experience with TSA in Washington. Also don't hang around as Frankfurt has walkways that seem to go on for ever.

You don't make it clear if you are on one ticket. If they are separate and you have to check in with Lufthansa then things are going to be tight. The only saving grace is that flights within the Schengen zone are considered to be the same as domestic flights..

Save Reply
3. Re: Question about layover in Frankfurt

Yes I have cleared immigration in the Schengen zone before but through Brussels (with a five hour layover in between which gave me plenty of time.) I purchased my flight tickets on United's website including the Lufthansa connection. I can't remember though the last time I flew United/Lufthansa if they counted as separate tickets since they were all on the same itinerary (it's been quite awhile and my memory is bad).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about layover in Frankfurt

If you purchased your itinerary through UA it will be on one ticket and if you have your e-ticket you should see it that way. UA generally prints out both boarding passes for you, however, if it should not print the LH pass you can just go to the transfer desk airside and have it printed out.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about layover in Frankfurt

I've been on the IAD FRA IAD flight with United as well and concur with what has been said. And As UA and LH are partners and you bought one ticket you will be all set as far as checking in goes.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about layover in Frankfurt

"... Security will also need to be recleared but this is pretty efficient and you won't be made to take your shoes off. I found that the security staff were polite and friendly. ..."

=============

Not necessarily. There is no requirement for US arriving passengers to reclear security as long as the path from the inbound to onward flight can be made within the sterile area.

If your UA flight arrives at a jet bridge (most likely and at the Z gates) you will deplane into the non-Schengen departure concourse which is in the sterile area. If your intra-Schengen flight leaves from the A gates (most likely) then the A concourse is directly below Z and all you will need to do is walk downstairs, clear Schengen immigration and walk to the A concourse.

The most likely cause of having to reclear security would be if your inbound UA flight went to a remote stand/bus gate. But even with having to clear security two hours will be fine.

Reply to: Question about layover in Frankfurt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted