We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

Hey Guys,

Just booked a cracking deal in the BA flash sale for next Sept but in my haste to book I'm now doubting whether I've left enough time to comfortably transfer from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3.

My Saturday flight from Glasgow arrives into Terminal 5 at 10.20am and my flight to Vegas leaves Terminal 3 at 12.20pm so I have 2 hours to transfer from T5 to T3.

Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar in approx. the same 2 hour timescale? Will we need to go through security again in Heathrow? Is this doable on the basis the flights will be running on time? HELP??? Not sure how BA would view amending my booking to an earlier flight from Glasgow or whether I would be subject to a ridiculous fee to change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

9 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

BA would not have so,d you this if it was not doable. I think the minimum connection time is 90 minutes. It should be fine. You will need to go through security again.

The booking confirmation should say whether changes are possible. Or you could try looking at MMB online to see whatnitnquotesmifmyoirntrynto make a change.

I wouldn't worry about this myself, as it is all on a single ticket and it's BAbproblem of you have a misconnect

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

Thank you AmoMondo for your response - you have reassured me- just need lady luck on side now. lol

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

We had a connection time between a flight landing at T5 and one leaving T4 of 3.5 hours. Plane took off from Rome 1.5 hours late, put the hammer down to make up time but because they missed the "slot" we were in a holding pattern for over 1/2 hour. Landed at 5B not 5A. The bus ride between terminals was 20 minutes. Stopped at the airline counter in 5B to ask about lounge. Clerk spotted fault in our ticket so parked us. 1/2 later given the "go", no explanation and nothing changed. It was a long walk to gate 10. Had 10 minutes before boarding. Blood pressure in the stratosphere somewhere.

Thankfully we were on a single ticket.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

I think you'll be fine. I'd prefer 2.5 hours but your connection is 30 minutes over the minimum. You may not have time to relax but you should make it. And BA monitors all tight connections and will step in and help if your connection becomes very tight.

You'll be protected if you do miss the flight and will be rebooked on the earliest available flight with available seats (and they'll use American if necessary) so worst case you'll get there late and with an additional connection in the US (most likely JFK, ORD, DFW, SFO, LAX or SEA onto either American or Alaska). But you'll get there.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,543 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

I've done this same connection and made it in less than 2 hours but don't dawdle at any point - consider paying the extra fee for selecting seats in advance near the front of the plane on the flight from GLA.

You do not want to be sitting at the rear of the plane being the last to disembark - ensure you follow the Flight Connections signs.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

I think you should made this.

<<Not sure how BA would view amending my booking to an earlier flight from Glasgow>> <<for next Sept>>

Keep an eye on your booking. There is a good likelihood that the timing of the flight will change. In theory you should get an information about this, in reality it is better to check from time to time.

Now these changes can work in your favour to have more time between the flights or against you. And if the changes work against you that would be the moment to call BA directly to ask to change for an earlier flight.

I would just wait, you will fly only in a years time.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

Thank you for your most helpful tips in your replies - I had thought about booking a seat from GLA and your advice has confirmed that this would be helpful to do and I will definitely keep my eye out for any flight changes as hopefully as you say, I may be able to utilise that opportunity if it arises to my advantage.

Much appreciated - only 11 months and 4 day to wait. LOL

Edited: 28 September 2017, 01:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
978 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

Plenty of time. Follow the purple Flight Connections signs for T3 connections, and board the free bus over to T3. There is a security check at T3, but lines are short.

It should only take about 30 mins.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,856 posts
1,307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?

<<just need lady luck on side now. lol>>

Well, as you are headed to Las Vegas, might as well "gamble" early, right?

Even I, who hates tight connections, think this should be doable, unless there are delays involved.

Fly safely,

Hunt

Reply to: Help, have I left enough time between Heathrow T5 and T3?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted