We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

Gainesville, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

Have a RT ticket on AA for Thanksgiving from Gainesville to Durham and want to go up one day early. That's $200 pp change fee. I can buy a one way ticket for me and my wife using my AA miles and under $11 cash. If I don't take the original flight up, will my ticket back form Durham be good?

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

No it won't be. You must take the flights in the sequential order you booked them, or they will be cancelled

Gainesville, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

OH, well, it was a thought. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,332 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

Have you called the airline or just tried to do this online? I would at least try to call and talk to an agent. Tell them you don't want to change the ticket. You simply want to cancel the outbound leg but keep the return. I suspect if you explain it that way rather than trying to change a flight that there won't be an extra charge. They may try to reprice the ticket as a one way rather than a round trip and if the fare has gone up since you originally bought it, it still might cost money. But I'd at least call and ask.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

Unfortunately not!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

No way.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,388 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding change fee by booking new flight

Yes you can if you bought a fully flexible ticket, but I doubt you spent that amount of money. ;-)

Reply to: Avoiding change fee by booking new flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted