We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking

I have two tickets, both on British Airways -- JFK to LHR, and then LHR to Pisa. Will BA book my luggage through to Pisa? I will have 2.5 hrs at LHR, probably too tight to make the connection if I have to go to baggage claim and then check in again?

5 replies to this topic
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking

If you had booked on one ticket, it would go to your final destination but on seperate tickets, it is unlikely, BA no longer through-check luggage unless it is on one ticket, even on their own flights.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,627 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking

"probably too tight to make the connection"

Definitely too tight. The only way you can do this is with hand luggage only.

From BA's website:

"If you have booked two separate flights to reach your final destination, for example Edinburgh to London followed by London to New York, you will need to:

Check in your bags for your first flight e.g. Edinburgh to London.

Follow the signs for 'Arrivals/Baggage reclaim' in London to collect your bags.

Check them in again for your second flight e.g. London to New York."

In your case read JFK to London and London to Pisa.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 20:04
UK
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking

If you have booked a "Plus Fare" on the LHR-PSA trip (you would need this for free checked luggage) then you can change to a later flight for free on the day. Some days there is only a single flight though so worth checking before hand if this will be possible.

https:/…our-short-haul-fares

You need to clear conformance (be checked in and at security) more than 35 minutes before your flight at T5, so you probably have less than 2 hours between flights by the time your aircraft has parked up and you are in the terminal. If your flight is on time and immigration isn't busy then you might make this connection even with checked bags but it will be very tight.

Level Contributor
304 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking

Agree you’ll need to check in again unless you get very lucky

2.5 hours between flights gives you little - no contingency but the last few times I’ve arrived at LHR with luggage I’ve been on the tube within 45 mins of landing. I think both your flights are T5 so would have made check- in cut off with about 45 mins to spare

Do you have an EU passport? If not, I’d expect slightly longer to clear immigration

Little contingency and I’d look at other plans - but the definitive ‘no’ answer is, IMO, inaccurate

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking

I think you can potentially do this but I’d have a plan B just in case. I’d also be sitting at the front of the plane coming into LHR to avoid being stuck behind everybody. Do not stop for any loo breaks/shopping until after you’ve grabbed your bags and gone back through to security.

Reply to: Will BA book luggage to final destination - separate booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted