We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

London
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Hi,

Myself and three other violinist were forced to pay an extra £240 early December to put our cases in the cabin on the way to Jersey for a concert. BA has admitted that they didn't follow their own policy, and have refunded the other three around Christmas time. The lady ignored my claim, apparently because I was on a different booking reference number (she has all my relevant details though). If you'd like more details, type in "British Airways Rita Manning" into Google, to see the Sun and other articles relating to it.

Since four weeks ago when I discovered the reason I wasn't refunded, I messaged the lady at BA online numerous times. I've phoned the customer services twice, been on hold for over 1.15 hours, and assured both times that she is aware of me, and will phone me back within a couple of days. The last time I was told that was exactly 2 weeks ago.

I feel enough is enough now. So my question is, does anyone have an address higher up in BA where I can send a letter of complaint, about both the lady and BA themselves? Any other advice about how I can force a response from BA, other than the small claims court (buy an address would be helpful in that case!)?

Many thanks for your help.

10 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Get used to it - it's their favourite pastime (IMO)

alternatively, send a proper lawyers letter

London
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Thanks Jock. My question really was, does anyone have a physical postal address that I can write to please?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,336 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

If this drags on for a total of 8 weeks you can escalate the matter to alternative dispute resolution. That avoids having to go to court. The ADR company contracted to BA is CEDR - https://www.cedr.com/aviation/

More information from the CAA here - https:/…

Edited: 19 January 2018, 02:58
London
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Thanks USbusinesstraveller, that's great!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,336 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Here's one of the articles neilsolaris is referring to (The Strad, a string instrument magazine) together with links to several similar (and very recent) incidents/complaints about BA check in staff, including at Heathrow.

https:/…7357.article

And here is BA's musical instruments policy. If the check in staff did state as reported that violins are (completely) banned from the OHBs then they were wrong - https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/informa…

Edited: 19 January 2018, 03:30
London
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Thanks again for posting those links. They updated that policy website slightly since our complaint, but in both instances they should have made every effort to accommodate, particularly given it wasn't a full flight. Also, after we paid for the extra seats, we put our instruments in the overhead lockers. They fitted perfectly. They always do! We know from frequent experience.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,536 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Try chasing up with their Twitter team, I've had good experiences with them when their regular customer services fail.

London
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

I tried that already lexexpress, but they fobbed me off too!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

The address for BA is British Airways Plc. Waterside PO Box 365 Harmondsworth, UB7 0GB and that's where all legal correspondence needs to be sent.

I've taken BA to the County Court twice and you need to be aware it's a very frustrating experience. In the last dispute they first tried to bury the claim in paperwork and when that failed they actually sent one of their legal team all the way to Norwich to defend a claim for £250. It just got plain daft because this exercise must have cost them more than simply settling the claim on a 'no fault' basis.

There is another option if you paid for the ticket by credit card. It's known as Section 75 protection and what it means is simply that the card providers can be held jointly liable with the merchant when things go wrong. You need to contact the card provider who will then send you a claim/complaint form to fill in. My experience over the years is that this is a very effective solution. If you used a debit card you don't have the same protection but you can ask the bank to consider applying a chargeback to the account and I've also done that successfully in the past.

London
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me

Thanks very much John, that's very useful.

I paid by debit card, so I'll definitely have a look into that option.

Confidentially, I finally got a voicemail from a lady at BA today, saying "we need to talk". I was thinking, we need more than just talk! She was from a withheld number, and asked me to call her back, without disclosing any number! Where do they get these people from?!

Reply to: British Airways customer service representative ignoring me
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted