We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

We are planning a trip to the UK in September or October departing Brisbane Australia and flying into Dublin Ireland. We would like a minimum 12 hour stopover to have a decent sleep. Most flights stop over in Dubai but through my research I can save approx $400 each by flying into Mumbai. Unfortunatly the airport there doesn't have 'sleepover' options so we would need to leave the airport and perhaps have a longer stopover. Is this doable without needing visas etc. Does anyone know of decent accommodation close to the airport that picks you up and takes you back?

8 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,379 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

I'm not sure if you have ever flown to Europe before but a 12 hour stop will not achieve you any rest ... you will have at least 2 hours from arrival to your hotel, you have to be back around 3 hours prior to your departure ... that gives you 7 hours in hotel room. Take a shower and get yourself sorted and now that's 5 1/2 hours to lay down and sleep. What's the point?

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

You will need a visa for India which I think is $AUS 50 and must be bought in advance.

I agree with the 12 hour layover not giving much time to get out and back. Are you aware that you can sleep in comfort airside at Dubai? Not cheap but is a practical solution to actually getting some sleep at the midpoint, we have used it and thought it was excellent, we were met at the plane door, eased through security and taken to the hotel by staff, all well organised and comfortable, we will use it again https://www.dubaiintlhotels.com/hotel/

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

Brisbane to Dublin

I would take the shortest connection and rest once you have arrived.

If you plan to make a stopover in Dubai, then give enough time to see something from the city. Also, hotels in Dubai are no more cheap.

Depending airline you are flying, and if you fly in economy, consider to invest the money you would spend on a hotel for a extra legroom seat.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

What airline/s are you looking at for such a saving?

Also how much?

Edited: 21 January 2018, 16:52
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,264 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

If your intention is to visit the UK, have to ask...but why are you flying to Dublin? Not only is Dublin in the Republic of Ireland ( & not in the UK), but it's also a Eurozone country, so you'd need a different currency.

Wouldn't it be easier and possibly cheaper, just to fly directly to a UK city?

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

Post#5 - good point, although with UK airport taxes it might conceivably save something?

For the Original Poster, where are you planning to visit as an openjaw ticket might be a good thing (for instance with Emirates you can use any two out Gatwick, Heathrow, Dublin, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle or Glasgow.)

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

There are no direct flights from Brisbane to Mumbai. Whatever you're looking at seems pretty fishy. Given the fact that you're seeing fights that don't exist and are under the impression that Dublin is in the UK, you might be best popping into Flight Centre, STA or an independent bricks and mortar travel agent and let an expert put together an itinerary that suits your budget and preference for a stopover.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi

As others have said 12hrs wont get you a sleep, however, there are other ways

Cathay Pacific (CX) only fly HKG-DUB 4 days a week, if you book to depart BNE on a Saturday it is a 29hr connection in HKG (no Sunday flight) - that appears to be the only route that does not have a 7 day service.

Alternatively, if you could fly BNE-LON return, and use a LCC to hop to Dublin during your stay, there would be far more choice and there are many with long connection times. Like Thai or China Southern, and Singapore airlines allow free stopovers up to 2 days, but they don't fly to Dublin..

I'd search here https://www.google.co.uk/flights/ and set the "sort by" to duration, then at the bottom of the list of flights click "show xxx longer flights" then start at the bottom of the list and work up the way, untill you find a flight that suits at a price that's sensible ;-)

Reply to: Brisbane To Dublin via Mumbi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted