We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

Going from Chicago to Rapid City on a plane type I have never taken. One side =2 seats/other side=one seat. Non stop. Anything to be prepared for? No leg room? Tighter restrictions on carry on size? More noise?

10 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

The only issue I've had with them is smaller overhead bins so be ready for larger carry ons to be checked at the gate - have any valuables or important stuff in a small bag in the carry on which you can easily remove at the gate.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

The overhead bins will be smaller and they are generally noisier but fine for flights up to a couple of hours.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

Aisles seem narrow.

The seats on the one-seat side go first.

Overheads are smaller.

Occasionally, the FAs run out of ice or will only give you half a Coke till they go through the whole plane, because they don't know if they have enough.

Some do seem louder.

Turbulence is more noticeable.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
660 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

As everyone has said, with the bonus of faster boarding and exiting, with fewer passengers. I enjoy the little planes.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

Exit row seats tend to have very good leg room.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,298 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

Be ready to gate check almost any bag bigger than a purse or briefcase. Overhead bins are very small.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

For carry-on, we always use soft duffel-style luggage for these planes. Almost any roller-type "carry-on" will be gate-checked, while a soft-sided bag will be allowed through because it can be smushed into the overhead bin.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

Just to be clear that with these small planes “gate check” means you leave your carry on either at the end of the jet bridge or (if no jet bridge) on a cart right next to the plane. At the end of the flight your carry on is returned to you on deplaning.

It sounds like you’re on an Embaer E145. I don’t particularly like those planes but they’re tolerable for a 2 hour flight.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

I have flown these many times and for short trips they seem to get you there. If you get into an adverse weather situation though, it’s not fun. I used to fly with the lowest fare but now pay more if it’s possible to take a larger plane, especially if the crew is part of a major airline vs. one of the subs. Just personal comfort.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,398 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)

Yes, with the 1-2 configuration, I am thinking EMB-145 also.

As stated, small overhead bins, and only above the C&D seats - no B seats. Everyone uses the single bins on starboard side of aircraft, and they ARE small.

Underseat storage is limited too.

There is a step up to the seats, of about 2” above the aisle, so watch your step.

The bins, above C&D are low (as there is only a fascia panel, above the A seats, they have a tad more overhead clearance), so also watch your head - Many WILL bang their heads.

In general, legroom is limited, but Exit Row seats have good legroom - Row 18,IIRC.

Seats seem a bit more narrow, but have never checked measurements.

I have done a few dozen reviews of the UA EMB-145 flights (2 more in the works now), with photos of the cabin, and the aspects mentioned by me, and others. The photos might be helpful.

No IFE of any kind on any UA/UAX EMB-145, which I have flown.

Beverage service is quick, with limited selections.

I’ve never had a bad flight on an EMB-145, but all of mine are short.

Depending on the airport, one might board/deplane via steps, but could be via a jetbridge.

See above for gate-checking anything larger than a small briefcase, or purse.

No closet, or hangers for a jacket/coat.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Reply to: Anybody taken United Express (United small plane)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted