We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

I am planning to book flights via ba.com from UK to USA (and return) in the next few days which will include return flights with AA.

I am aware of BA's seat selection policy and the website says when travelling with AA it's possible to book seats on those flights via Manage My Booking.

All my past flights with AA have been booked direct with them enabling free seat selection during the booking process.

My wife, who is a nervous flyer, is seeking reassurance that booking seats together on the AA flights wont be an issue - I know that booking seats on codeshare flights can sometimes be a problem and would welcome feedback from others that selecting seats (at no extra cost) on the AA operated flights is straightforward via MMB on ba.com

Thanks in advance for any replies.

14 replies to this topic
Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

I have booked with BA to fly UK to JFK in 2 occasions on a code share which was an AA flight. We had no problem reserving our seats. I seem to remember that I used the manage my flight option and was redirected to the AA web site to make the seat reservation. As we were paying for extra legroom seats I paid for them and then had the receipt from AA

Phil

UK
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

"the AA operated flights is straightforward via MMB on ba.com"

When you go into MMB you get redirected to the AA site and it auto-populates the AA record locator (which is different to BA's) and you can select your seats. You can also add that record locator to AA's smartphone app to get maps, live gate information and baggage tracking.

If everything works correctly then this is fairly slick but sometimes the link up between systems does not work and you need to call AA to sort the seats out.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

No guarantees in life. I have booked AA tickets via BA with issues with seat selection. As a rule calling AA will address the issue; but as noted, no guarantees in life.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

I suppose it would likely to be a waste of time to check the price of a single each way, the one booked with BA, the other booked with AA.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

I suppose it would likely to be a waste of time to check the price of a single each way, the one booked with BA, the other booked with AA. - Yes a one way flight with BA is more expensive than the planned open jaw return

6. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2018, 06:37

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,652 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

Back to post #1 we have forthcoming AA operated flights booked as BA codeshares, seat selection was indeed free. There is a glitch to be aware of, we have internal flights too. The TA leg has one PNR and the internal has another PNR. I can only seat select for the TA Leg on one and for the internal flight on the other...!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,689 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

@Tom: My best guess is if you can get the AA PNR, then you can log onto AA's website to see if seats are available. Note that seat selection isn't always available though. If a certain percentage of seats are assigned already, then while you won't be able to reserve a seat in advance. Even during OLCI, while the page will confirm you as having checked-in, it will still tell you to go to the airport for seat assignment. I used to fly AA a lot until a couple of years ago and that was the case.

@PMQuestions: In your case, if you have two separate AA PNR's, were you issued two tickets in reality? My TA has done that before due to price reasons.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

And now while I cannot say answer the question. I do see that the OP is quick to answer many things but comes here for a question. - And your point is what

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection

Not sure about AA, but I certainly wouldn't book seats on BA again, having recently spent £154 only to find the seats we booked (for a specific reason) were completely changed. BA informed me they're entitled to do that when they please, according to any reason that comes under their 'operational policy' and no, we would not be able to claim a refund.

Reply to: BA Booking - AA Operated Flight, Seat Selection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted