We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Delay Compensation

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Delay Compensation

I've already filed a claim through a website called Delayed Flights regarding a flight with Ryanair from Palma last August that was delay 31/2 hours. It's taking forever as they allow the airline six weeks to reply (which they haven't) and then there are god knows how many other stages to go through. At this rate it could be years before I see a penny!!!! I initially started a claim bye myself but thought it would be quicker through a claims firm.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
101. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

OK I understand that contacting the CAA is what they recomend, but what are they actually going to do apart from confirm that there was a delay and that it may have been the airlines fault. They won't get the OP any money back that's for sure and Thomson will still keep denying responsibility. This will also take some time and is just delaying the OP taking proper action against Thomson. The only way to get results in terms of compensation is to cut to the chase and start some sort of legal proceeding. Send a 'letter before court action' to Thomson giving them a certain period to reply with an offer of compensation

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
102. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

Legal proceedings will cost you money for a start

when we contacted trading standards about this they advised complaining to the CAA first off and they have had many decision about the non-payment of compensation overturned. Yes they do not have the legal power to do so but if they find in your favour and the airlines still does not pay up it gives you a very good case to take legal action

If they side with the airline you would be unwise to take it to court

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
103. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

A claim via the small claims court doesn't cost that much. I think it cost me about £35 and if you win you get that back anyway. I did actually contact the CAA initially, who gave me the address for Spain as my flight was from Palma. Anyway it was handy to have the letter which in my case did state that I had a case so I agree on that point. I'm just saying the sooner court proceedings are started the better, because Thomson will drag this out forever before paying out, which they will eventually to avoid court proceedings

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
104. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

Mark

The key thing is "if you win" and I hope you do

If you loose as some people have with the small claims court the other party can ask you to pay their costs

Luckily I got my claim for our 24 hour delay settled with Thomas Cook directly

Edited: 28 July 2013, 18:10
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
105. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

Well done on that. I had the same happy outcome with Ryanair who settled with me to avoid a court case, but it did take some time. Patience is a virtue

SHEFFIELD
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
106. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

I wrote to both Managing Directors of Thomson airways on 26th June re the compensation due for our delayed flight from Turin back to Doncaster in February 2012. I sent the letter by registered mail, it has been signed for and I am still waiting for their reply. Our plane was deemed 'not safe to fly' when I last spoke to Thomson but their original letter stated that the delay was due to a fault sustained on its previous flight. Claim forms were sent in on 27th March this year, again by registered mail. As our party is large a previous responder advised doing a trial claim for a couple of people to the small claims court which appears to be my only option now.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
107. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

You'll wait forever for Thomson's to reply. They are basically not interested until you take them to court. Register your small claims court proceeding online. It's pretty straight forward. There is a very good guide on the MoneySavingsexpert website. First thing to do without delay is write a 'letter before court action' to Thomson giving them a set amount of days to reply. This will show the court that they had a final opportunity to respond to you before court action commenced. If you read this thread back it will tell you all you need to know about EU 261, which is the regulation about delays and faults with aircraft that will govern your claim.

SHEFFIELD
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
108. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

Thanks for the advice. I have today written separately to both Managing Directors giving 7 working days notice of the start of court proceedings.

Thomsonfly are very difficult to keep track of as they have many different addresses from which you receive replies - if you are lucky.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
109. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

It's even worse dealing with Ryanair as they are based in Ireland. The airlines are pretty much all the same. They drag things out as long as possible hoping that people just give up. They are basically running scared of the new EU laws and will pay out to avoid court. With Thomson, just make sure you register your claim at the correct address, which presumely would be their HQ

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
110. Re: Flight Delay Compensation

At least with Thomas Cook you can lodge a complaint over the phone