We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

Hi! My husband and I are flying from Cairns to Sydney on Jet Star, then an hour and 40 minutes later from Sydney to the USA. Is the one hour and 40 mintues enough time to make the connection?

Also, my travel agent says that the airline may not even allow me to book the flight if the time is too short--is this true?

Thanks for any help!

Elli

sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

I would take the advice of your travel agent, most airlines will require that economy passengers are checked in 2hrs before departure.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

Well, I wouldn't do it. Which airline are you flying to the US on?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

lots of variables here. but really that amount of time is not enough esp if u have to collect your baggage at t2 transfer to t1 and then recheck, go thru emigration and security.

I would look at a minimum of 3 hours.

who is the international flight with?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

Add to what others have said the fact that Jetstar has the worst on time arrival record of all domestic airlines so there's a reasonable chance your incoming flight will be delayed.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

Give yourself more time. You need to be checked in at least 90 mins before your flight departs (assuming you have already checked in online)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

In Sydney the domestic terminal is across the other side of the runway from the interntational terminal, so you either have to get a connecting bus (if you are on the one ticket) or go via taxi or train. That is why extra time may be required.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

Also, my travel agent says that the airline may not even allow me to book the flight if the time is too short--is this true?>>>>

if it is all being booked on one ticket and through Qantas then may let you book as their minmum connection on thru tickets are 90mins.

If it is not a thru ticket then no way will you make it. as you would need to collect your bags get over to the other terminal and check in again

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

THANKS ALL! Very clear message!

The return flight is on United.

We will find another flight rather than risk the 90 mintue plan. THANKS!!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

yes, good idea

u can need all of your 3 hours to check in with a united flight.

the check in line moves very slowly as the flights are usually full.

10. Re: Sydney: Domst to International flights-- how much time need?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 13:18