We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas Airways

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Qantas Airways

Just got of flight QF434 Melbourne / Sydney . What a joke the Qantas club in Melbourne was filthy the flight had No catering , a PA message by the captain was made on the flight that a $20 credit for food at the food outlets in Sydney airport would be honored by Qantas

, this was after we were told that the catering truck had broken down in Melbourne and because many guests had connect flights it was decided not to wait for a second catering truck. This of course meant many passengers could not use the Sydney food outlets as they had to catch connecting flights, myself included and Qantas wonders why Virgin Airlines is becoming the preferred airline of many flyers.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
16,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Qantas Airways

Yes, KVE, either there or become a platinum member and use the 'inner sanctum' First Lounge which is quieter and where the barista makes almost decent coffee.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
928 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Qantas Airways

The OP is not claiming the Q Club in Melbourne is a zoo. They are claiming it was filthy. That has to be an exaggeration of the highest order, surely. We use it regularly and while it is very busy I have never felt it was filthy, or even dirty. A bad day maybe? Certainly not the usual.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Qantas Airways

Worst rant ever! It's an 80 minute flight. First world problems,,.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Qantas Airways

Hang on a minute, the OP has made a decision to fly with a full service airline and therefore expects to receive what they have paid for. Surely this is a reasonable expectation? Qantas should have contingencies in place for these situations. I do believe they still do their own catering, so they should have infrastructure in place.

Granted, it's a trivial issue but it looks like many responses here are criticising the OP for even thinking of expecting to receive what they paid for. If everyone takes the "put up and/or shut up" approach then we will see service standards deteriorate. Qantas differentiates itself from Virgin/Jetstar by offering a meal of some type on all services, so it is reasonable to expect this to be provided. The OP may have missed a meal with the expectation they will have a bite to eat on their flight, so I'd be cranky in that kindnof situation too.Anyway it's good to see that Qantas tried to make up for this by offering a food voucher, though I'd much rather a lounge entry coupon even if I am just about sick of seeing the same pasta with cheap salami/tomato/vege sauce dish at the QF lounge...!

Indeed a first world problem, but a legitimate concern nonetheless. Ultimately though things don't always run smoothly so we should consider both sides of the argument. At least Qantas did the best they could given the situation and at least you got a $20 voucher instead of the standard $8 that Jetstar provides, so you might have been able to get a happy meal instead of just a small chocolate bar... :P

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Qantas Airways

robol ... but he was compensated. He's ranting because he didn't get a meal on the flight but was given compensation to a greater value. So yes, he went with a full service airline who provided him with full service compensation. So what's he really got to whinge about?

cheshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Qantas Airways

Outbound Flights QF8020 Manchester to Dubai / QF8412 Dubai to Sydney / QF219 Sydney to Queenstown - On 31st March myself, my husband and our friend began, what we expected to be a wonderful holiday and celebration of our Son and daughter in law's wedding day in New Zealand, however this journey soon turned into a nightmare for not only ourselves but my other Son and his girlfriend who travelled on 29th March. We travelled from Manchester via Dubai, Sydney and then onto Queenstown New Zealand. When we arrived, tired from the long 27hr journey, we went to baggage claim and found that only one suitcase had turned up out of 3 large, 1 small and our duty free ( which was taken from us at Dubai to be forwarded onto Queenstown) When we approached the customer service desk at Queenstown ( which was a Jetstar rep as out flight was code shared with Emirates and the last leg from Sydney to Queenstown was with Jetstar) we were told that this was no surprise as approx 1300 cases go missing each day in Dubai! We explained that all our wedding outfits, clothes for our tiki tour afterwards and wedding cards and presents were in the cases, the rep said that the cases should arrive in 48hrs. We were not offered any compensation to enable us to purchase clothes or toiletries. When we were met at the airport by my other Son who had arrived 2 days before us, he told us that none of his or his girlfriends luggage had arrived! We had both been given a telephone number for Jetstar and a reference number . To enable us to keep chasing all our luggate my Son had to purchase a New Zealand sim card and phone, he phoned each day 2 or three times and was passed from numerous operators, also my daughter in law and other Son (who's wedding it was ) called Qantas and Emirates to try and locate our luggage but nobody seemed to be able to trace any of our cases. After numerous calls everyday, my husbands case arrived 2 days later, but we were still missing 2 cases and our duty free box. Also my Sons case had still not been located and no updates were given, my family had to keep calling Qantas, Emirates and Jetstar at their own cost, finally on the 5th day my Sons cases arrived but as they were flying home 4 days later, this spoiled all their plans and also they had to go out and buy clothing and toiletries including wedding outfits. Our other 2 cases did not arrive until 6 days after we arrived and the day after my Sons wedding, therefore we also had to go out and purchase outfits for the wedding, other clothing and toiletries. The duty free box never arrived at all and I finally got this back when we checked in to travel home yesterday!!! Needless to say this experience has left us feeling that we would never wish to travel through Qantas, Emirates or Jetstar ever again. No apologies have even been given or any offer of compensation for our additional expense caused by your company. The emotional dissapointment and inconvenience cannot be put into words.

Also one of our cases has been very badly damaged and cannot be used again ( this is the one which arrived on 06/04) When we asked why our cases went missing we were told that probably the labels had come off the cases and therefore they could not be tracked, however when the cases started arriving, each of them had the original label still on them and also each one had an Emirates identity tag on them with our details on them. EK668178 / EK668177 / EK668176 / EK668175 and the box with dutyfree was EK105680.

We have now arrived back home today and not once has your company contacted us, I am now hoping that you will attempt to restore my faith in your company by firstly offering an explanation and apology and secondly to discuss compensation for our losses and a gesture of goodwill for your companies incompetance!

2ND EMAIL SENT TO QANTAS

I am really disappointed to not have received a response, as promised, from your Executive team.

Our holiday, which was to enable us to be at our Son's wedding, was spent phoning Qantas, Emirates and Jetstar trying to locate our luggage, this in itself took up the first week of our stay. I cannot put into words how we felt during this time other than to say the experienced ruined our holiday.

We are not wealthy people and it took a lot of hard saving to enable us to be able to afford this trip, and to pay out almost £1500 each for this trip and experience the nightmare we did has been horrendous.

I cannot believe that we have now been home for 2 weeks and yet you have still not contacted me with any offer of compensation or gesture of goodwill.

I have asked for your CEO details as I wish for my complaint to go directly to him/her, please can you forward the details to me?

POSTED ON QANTAS WEBSITE TODAY – 05/05/2014

Well Qantas, you have proved that your customer service is non existent today!!

My complaint commenced the day we landed in New Zealand and discovered not only our cases, but our Son and his girlfriend who arrived 2 days before us, had not arrived.

Needless to say the upset and inconvenience this caused was devastating to all 5 of us.

This was my initial complaint :

Outbound Flights QF8020 Manchester to Dubai / QF8412 Dubai to Sydney / QF219 Sydney to Queenstown - On 31st March myself, my husband and our friend began, what we expected to be a wonderful holiday and celebration of our Son and daughter in law's wedding day in New Zealand, however this journey soon turned into a nightmare for not only ourselves but my other Son and his girlfriend who travelled on 29th March. We travelled from Manchester via Dubai, Sydney and then onto Queenstown New Zealand. When we arrived, tired from the long 27hr journey, we went to baggage claim and found that only one suitcase had turned up out of 3 large, 1 small and our duty free ( which was taken from us at Dubai to be forwarded onto Queenstown) When we approached the customer service desk at Queenstown ( which was a Jetstar rep as out flight was code shared with Emirates and the last leg from Sydney to Queenstown was with Jetstar) we were told that this was no surprise as approx 1300 cases go missing each day in Dubai! We explained that all our wedding outfits, clothes for our tiki tour afterwards and wedding cards and presents were in the cases, the rep said that the cases should arrive in 48hrs. We were not offered any compensation to enable us to purchase clothes or toiletries. When we were met at the airport by my other Son who had arrived 2 days before us, he told us that none of his or his girlfriends luggage had arrived! We had both been given a telephone number for Jetstar and a reference number. To enable us to keep chasing all our luggage my Son had to purchase a New Zealand sim card and phone, he phoned each day 2 or three times and was passed from numerous operators, also my daughter in law and other Son (who's wedding it was ) called Qantas and Emirates to try and locate our luggage but nobody seemed to be able to trace any of our cases. After numerous calls everyday, my husbands case arrived 2 days later, but we were still missing 2 cases and our duty free box. Also my Sons case had still not been located and no updates were given, my family had to keep calling Qantas, Emirates and Jetstar at their own cost, finally on the 5th day my Sons cases arrived but as they were flying home 4 days later, this spoiled all their plans and also they had to go out and buy clothing and toiletries including wedding outfits. Our other 2 cases did not arrive until 6 days after we arrived and the day after my Sons wedding, therefore we also had to go out and purchase outfits for the wedding, other clothing and toiletries. The duty free box never arrived at all and I finally got this back when we checked in to travel home yesterday!!! Needless to say this experience has left us feeling that we would never wish to travel through Qantas, Emirates or Jetstar ever again. No apologies have even been given or any offer of compensation for our additional expense caused by your company. The emotional dissapointment and inconvenience cannot be put into words.

Also one of our cases has been very badly damaged and cannot be used again ( this is the one which arrived on 06/04) When we asked why our cases went missing we were told that probably the labels had come off the cases and therefore they could not be tracked, however when the cases started arriving, each of them had the original label still on them and also each one had an Emirates identity tag on them with our details on them.

2nd email sent to Qantas:

Our holiday, which was to enable us to be at our Son's wedding, was spent phoning Qantas, Emirates and Jetstar trying to locate our luggage, this in itself took up the first week of our stay. I cannot put into words how we felt during this time other than to say the experienced ruined our holiday.

We are not wealthy people and it took a lot of hard saving to enable us to be able to afford this trip, and to pay out almost £1500 each for this trip and experience the nightmare we did has been horrendous.

I cannot believe that we have now been home for 2 weeks and yet you have still not contacted me with any offer of compensation or gesture of goodwill.

I have asked for your CEO details as I wish for my complaint to go directly to him/her, please can you forward the details to me?

This morning I received a phone call from Qantas to offer myself compensation of $300 New Zealand dollars ( $100 each ). Needless to say this has been refused as it is an insult considering the inconvenience and upset your company has caused to ourselves.

You have offered what is a standard offer which is not even 10% of the cost of our flights! You obviously do not care the trauma we have gone through due to your airlines incompetance.

You should be looking at the whole experience we have gone through and attempting to restore our faith in your company.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Qantas Airways

Lucky you had travel insurance to cover these costs.

Agree it is inconvenient, but flying on a Qantas booked flight, using emirates aircraft then transferring to an emirates codeshare flight on Jetstar airways all with tight connections - are you surprised?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Qantas Airways

Yes well it is awful when luggage is delayed/lost. Has happened to me too - more than once . But of course your travel insurance should cover any out of pocket expenses above and beyond the $300 offered by QF - including for phone calls etc.

You do have travel insurance don't you?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Qantas Airways

I suggest you accept the cash offered ... I very much doubt it will be increased, they don't have a distress/nightmare compensation package. And in future you should only choose airlines that don't lose luggage.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
24,592 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Qantas Airways

I don't understand why this new complaint has been added to a Qantas thread. How is Qantas involved in the loss of luggage in Dubai on an Emirates flight?