We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

I found a great deal through Vayama and want to pull the trigger but having never done business with them, I looked up some reviews and found so many negative experiences. I then did the same for Expedia, Travelocity, etc. (companies I know and trust) and found the same. So my question is this: Can I trust Vayama or am I throwing my money away?

I realize that often people only write reviews when they're angry or feel wronged.

228 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

Vayama is legit. Half the time people complain because they're clueless about the terms of the ticket they've bought or have mistakes/changes they need to rectify. To some extent this can apply to any third party so it's usually best to book direct with the airline.

It's unlikely you have a 'deal' because their prices aren't live and most offer poor service aftercare because - guess what - people think they've got a deal and won't pay for it.

Just avoid the really rubbish OTA's of which there admittedly hundreds if not thousands. EDreams/Opodo, Bravofly, cheaptickets, Gotogate, and on and on, the list is virtually endless.

Edited: 10 February 2016, 01:08
London
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

Buy direct and don't use third parties is the mantra on this forum.

Why would you risk spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars with a company you have never done business with and others on the 'net have rubbished? Just about all airlines and hotels want to deal direct with the customer so why risk inserting a third party in the transaction because they have conned you into a belief that they ca do it cheaper?

Just remember the old adage, if something seems to good to be true then it probably is

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

They're certainly not a scam but they come with the usual downsides of booking through a 3rd party.

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

Thanks for the input, travelers! I appreciate it.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,035 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

Vayama are not as bad as some, but there will always be downsides to booking with a third party.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,832 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

Tough call.

"Vayama Voice" (Dave?) does post here, and seems to be able to help some folk, who have issues. That, to me is a good sign, BUT I do not wish to put ANY 3rd party agent between me, and my airline. That is just me.

Many horrible posts, regarding many 3rd party agents, are from folk, who want to make changes, or made mistakes in the bookings. They bought highly Restricted tickets, and expect the same T&C's, as though they had bought Fully-Refundable tickets. It does not work that way.

If, for some reason, I decided that I wanted to insert a 3rd party agent between me, and the airline, I *might* lean toward Vayama, but that is just not my personal style.

Good luck,

Hunt

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

I booked through Vayama last weekend and noticed an issue with one of my flights. I emailed them but they took 3 days to get back to me so I just phoned them instead as its easier to sort things on the phone sometimes. I have to say customer service was a pleasure to deal with and sorted my issue there and then. There was no hassle what-so-ever. I think a lot of bad reviews stem from booking errors made by the booker rather than Vayama themselves. You really do need to ensure every detail is correct before confirming and making payment though. People can be too quick filling in online booking forms. Slow down and read EVERYTHING is my advice :D

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

They are barely legit if at all. My impression is they don't know what they are doing. I changed my ticket, Vayama didn't do the rebooking correctly. At the airport I wasn't able to check in. The desk agent at JFK airport said Vayama didn't properly transfer the flight. By the time the (Lufthansa) agent helped the Vayama agent walk through it on the phone, (even the Lufthansa agent was amazed at the idiocy of the Vayama agent who wouldn't believe something was wrong) it was too late, I wasn't able to make the flight. It gets worse. on top of this, they charged me twice for the unrendered service. Thats right, an unauthorized charge. I wanted both charges to my credit card dropped and so I called Vayama... I had a very unpleasant conversation with an agent who kept repeating the same thing over and over "we made the change to your ticket on time". But the new booking was not done correctly and thus, I missed my flight.

I've called the Better Business and filed a complaint against Vayama but I thought I'd also put in my review here. I was charged (twice) by Vayama for a ticket change that was not rendered correctly OR on time.

Edited: 14 January 2017, 03:08
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,832 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

Unfortunately, it seems that most issues with 3rd party sites arise from changes.

That is a big reason that I don't want to insert ANY 3rd party agent between me, and the carrier.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?

I have used Vayama several times for my mission team to purchase overseas tickets. Always on point! No complaints whatsoever!

Reply to: Vayama? Scam or just Angry Reviewers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted