We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

I had a dispute with Ryanair last year and was refused boarding at STN airport as FR claimed I was late at the gate ,I was not allowed on the flight and had to stay overnight and pay an extra fee to get on the next days flight. As I had been at the gate I disputed this with them and was Ignored

When I got home I emailed Ryanair on several occasions and had no success .

I then decided to take an action against them in the small claims court . This is a system which for a fee of €25.00 euro any European citizen can make a claim for up to €2000 euro if not happy with the goods or services provided , In this case I was suing Ryanair for non provision of my flight home .

Yesterday I had the great satisfaction of winning my case against them in court and was awarded 100% of what I asked for .

Before making claim you must have the following information

The company you are claiming against which is the company who sold you the ticket if you bought directly from the Rayanair website it is

Ryanair Holdings Limited ,

Airside Business Park,

Swords,

Co. Dublin

Ireland

It is most important you have the right company number which is

The address to post your application form to is

The Small claims office

Swords District Court

North st

Swords

Co Dublin

Ireland

If you are an Irish citizen this can all be done online at

courts.ie/courts.ie/…

Please remember that you have to attend the court on the date given and if you don't turn up the case will be thrown out .

If you are a European citizen you can find the claim form here and you do not have to appear but you should have a very strong case for claiming .

courts.ie/rules.nsf/…

These forms can be got in other European languages as well

95 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

Well done.

Did Ryan air show up to defend?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,842 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

Well done. And thanks for the information regarding how to go about it.

Not that I think RyanAir is a bad airline (far from it). But very useful information if you do need to take legal action.

ps - Do you know the process for non-European citizens, e.g. Americans, Canadians, etc?

Edited: 17 February 2016, 17:22
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

I'd be interested to learn a bit more about the actual circumstances, though obviously not if it might prejudice any possible appeal by Ryanair.

I must admit when I started reading this I thought it was going to be the usual whinge by someone who was at least partly to blame for their own predicament. I then checked your history to see if you'd had a whinge when it actually happened, but no. Someone who has a problem, sorts it out themselves, and comes on TA to help other people in the same situation? What's the world coming to??!!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

They showed up with a staff of three solicitors and were all bluster . At the end they were very quick to settle my action . I appeared on my own with just my evidence of there wrong doing .

99% of people do not persist in going after them . It cost me just 25 euros to go after them and delighted to say I won

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

For people out of the European union have no idea . i would imagine it would be very expensive you would have to go to higher courts but then if you win you will be awarded all costs .

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

Congratulations. Well done and also thanks for your detailed information on how to do it.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

There cant be an appeal from Ryanair as they agreed 100% with my claim and told the judge they were very happy to pay .

I think Ryanair were banking on the fact that as 99% of people do not follow through on there claim they were going to win.

I had written to this company on numerous occasions about my plight but was ignored and fobbed off with Auto generated responses at all times

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

I'm curious about what happened when you were denied boarding. Why did Ryanair think you weren't at the gate? How did you prove you were?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

Good to know but they've probably got bigger fish to fry. Surprised they fielded 'three solicitors' tbh.

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ryanair-court-vict… (There's a better version of this in the Times but it's behind a paywall).

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR

The point of my post Harley is not about my case which is to long to go into here .

The point I am trying to make is that it is very easy to take on this company without huge cost , however you must have been genuinely wronged and not just as another poster pointed out just having a whinge !

Ryanair like must other big companies can have a very bulling and arrogant attitude to the individual punter when it suits them and what I am trying to point out is it is not overly costly to go after them when they are WRONG

BTW I am booked on another cheap flight with them and per say I have no problem with there model of business however if they mess me up I will go after them :-)

Reply to: Filing a small claim for damages against RYANAIR
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted