We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Topic
Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

I am Traveling to Vancouver(Canada) from Mumbai(India) by British Airways on 25th December 2016.There is one stop at London and the layover time is more than 10hrs.

Do I require a transit visa?

go through customs? immigration?

claim checked bags and recheck them?

go through security again?

119 replies to this topic
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

Thank you.

I am traveling to Canada on a student visa so I don't need a transit visa? as there is exemption for people having visa for Canada and more countries.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,336 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

I presume you are in Indian citizen? Fairy essential info to provide if you are asking a visa question.

If you are flying on BA on one ticket then you won't need to leave airside, your bags are checked through and no you won't need any kind of visa. You won't even need to change terminals.

britishairways.com/assets/pdfs/information/a…

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

I am Traveling to Vancouver(Canada) from Mumbai(India) by British Airways on 25th December 2016.There is one stop at London and the layover time is more than 10hrs.

======================

What time does your flight arrive to Heathrow - Is is still on 25 December (Christmas Day)?

What time does your next flight depart?

Is it from the same terminal? I'm assuming the BA flight is into T5. Your onward flight is with which airline?

I'm asking because you can't stay airside overnight at Heathrow and there may be limited facilities open at Christmas.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,512 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

If it's all BA, the flight from Mumbai arrives at 0655 and the Vancouver flight leaves at 1720. All the same day as the flights are chasing the sun. This would tally with the stop of more than 10 hours mentioned by the OP.

So the answer is no, you don't need a visa assuming my guess is correct. Just follow the purple connection signs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
683 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

"TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Passengers holding confirmed onward tickets making an airside transit at London Gatwick (LGW), London Heathrow (LHR) or Manchester (MAN) on the same calendar day to a third country (excluding Ireland (Rep.)).

- Passengers may make an airside transit if holding a valid entry visa issued by Australia, Canada, New Zealand or USA.

E-visas or e-residence permits are only accepted for airside transit when the airline is able to verify it with the issuing country.

- Passengers may make an airside transit if holding a valid biometric visa issued by Ireland (Rep.) endorsed "BC" or "BC BIVS" in order to transit to a destination other than Ireland (Rep.).

E-visas or e-residence permits are only accepted for airside transit when the airline is able to verify it with the issuing country.

Passengers holding confirmed onward tickets passing through United Kingdom immigration to make a landside transit to a third country on a flight that departs before 23:59 the next day.

- Passengers may make a landside transit if holding a valid visa which allows entry into Australia, Canada, New Zealand or USA and traveling as part of a journey to, from or transit through the country that has issued the visa.

Landside transit is not available if holding a US Visa Foil type "YY" or "ZZ" endorsed "Not a visa. Foil prepared at DHS request" nor the US Adit stamp worded "Processed for I-551" (temporary form I-551).

- Passengers may make a landside transit if traveling from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or USA provided transiting the United Kingdom less than 6 months after the date they last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or USA with a valid visa for the respective country, even though the visa may have expired at the time of transit through the United Kingdom.

Landside transit is not available if holding a US Visa Foil type "YY" or "ZZ" endorsed "Not a visa. Foil prepared at DHS request" nor the US Adit stamp worded "Processed for I-551" (temporary form I-551).

E-visas or e-residence permits are not accepted for landside transit.

- Passengers may make a landside transit if traveling from Ireland (Rep.) provided transiting the United Kingdom no more than 3 months after they last entered Ireland (Rep.) with a valid biometric visa issued by Ireland (Rep.) endorsed "BC" or "BC BIVS", even though the visa may have expired at the time of transit through the United Kingdom.

E-visas or e-residence permits are not accepted for landside transit."

Above are the Transit Without Visa policy of United Kingdom for Indian passport holders provided by IATA. You can contact UK embassy in India to have more info.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

I am Traveling to Delhi (India) from San Francisco (USA) by British Airways on 18th December 2017.There is one stop at London Heathrow (LHR) and the layover time is more than 20hrs.

Do I need a transit visa to visit London.or no need because I have 10 years USA visit visa.

If they gave me transit visa, will it be stamped on the passport.

What is the fees and other requirements like photograph etc.

UK
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

#7 from the post directly above yours:

"Passengers may make a landside transit if holding a valid visa which allows entry into Australia, Canada, New Zealand or USA and traveling as part of a journey to, from or transit through the country that has issued the visa."

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

Please also keep in mind that if your flights are not on one ticket, then for the first airline you are not transiting in the UK but your end destination is in the UK.

Best is to check for yourself (see link in post #1). Mistakes in documentation can lead to a denied boarding.

UK
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)

There is no requirement for flights to be on one ticket to qualify for the UK visa exemption - that's just a TA myth.

The only requirement is to have a confirmed onward flight before midnight on the day after arrival.

If they are on separate tickets Airline 1 will, of course, want to see the ticket issued by Airline 2 to satisfy themselves that the traveller qualifies for entry to the UK.

Reply to: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted