We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

Liverpool
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

Has anybody had problems booking flights through the Fly Sharp website? PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

Last night I booked 2 return flights Manchester -> Mumbai (via Amsterdam out & Paris CDG return). I made a mistake with the booking by clicking on an incorrect option which give me a 24 hour lay-over in Paris rather than a 2 hour lay-over (my fault - not their fault). I noticed the mistake immediately and was able to reach a Fly Sharp adviser within 2 minutes of the mistake and before any confirmation had been provided. The adviser told me I would need to pay £80 per person to make the change, alternatively £50 per person to cancel and told me there was no cooling off period applicable. He also offered to bring the return flight earlier by 1 day as a cheaper option at £50 per person. Feeling that I had no other choice I went for the day earlier option and paid the additional £100. When I complained about this online I was shocked to receive a call from the same adviser at ten minutes to midnight last night asking us what we thought we were doing raising a complaint and said he was closing the complaint. I tried to escalate this today but felt I have been stonewalled and this is not being dealt with appropriately. During the escalation I was told that in fact it was the airline who insisted that the additional charges are applied. I phoned the airline in question (KLM) who explained to me that their policy is not to apply charges for changes made prior to the issue of e-tickets. They had visibility of my order history and agreed I should have been able to change the details without an admin fee. I have a screen shot taken from the Fly Sharp website at the time of the call to them which does indicate that there would have been a slight increase to the cost of the flight (£37 in all) which I would have been more than happy to pay. No e-ticket was issued for the initial booking and e-tickets for the revised booking arrived this morning. I am now investigating any other routes of complaining and if there is any pressure I can bring to bear to recover the over-charge,

Please do be careful and I will be considering every available alternative option before using this company ever again. They are owned by Southall Travel.

38 replies to this topic
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

We are pretty consistent here in our recommendation that one buys directly from the airline. There is no need, and seldom any advantage in buying from a third party. A little pre-purchase research and you would have avoided the trouble. All these little companies do is enter your info into the airline site and buy the ticket for you. Airlines don't give the little guys any break in price, and the bigger organizations don't get any more than a pound or two, which they don't transfer to you.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

You've chosen to book with a shonky agent and because of that you agree to an extra layer of T&Cs. You did read these before booking, including their fees which are on top of the airlines.

You admit you made the mistake so you have to pay for it as per FlySharp T&Cs. I'm not too sure why you have raised a complaint.

As said before that's why we all say book direct with the airline, you avoid these extra fees and layer of problems. You are reliant on FlySharp passing on schedule changes, cancellations etc. The airline don't correspond with you. Keep an eye on your booking.

The only alternative is booking direct, why chase cheap fares that don't exist. Every other shonky agent on the web will charge extra fees. Hard lesson to learn.

Edited: 24 October 2016, 00:57
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

Well I don't know anything about them, ( but I though southall was ok) but I do know that as well as make a mistake in the booking you clearly didn't read the terms and conditions either, just ticked the box and pretended you had.

The contractual terms apply and most agencies make their money on changes, as such, they are right, why are you complaining? The contract applies, it wasn't their error, you proactively chose to buy from them, and you can't complain they don't provide the same terms as the airline does or that you don't like the terms you agreed to. There is no grounds for complaint here. You made a mistake and you should pay according to your contract for any changes.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

how much of the payment is the flysharp admin fee that they impose for making changes requested by you?

London
Level Contributor
644 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

And you expect flysharp to spend time and effort to correct your error for free?

Many of these agents get business by offering the lowest headline prices for flights on reduced profit margins.

Whilst the £50 a ticket fee for correcting your mistake might seem a lot, having the staff, processes, phone systems, billing systems to process the ammendment to your ticket do not come for free. Do you expect a free lunch as well?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,103 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

OP did not bother looking at this 3rd party agent before booking

Probably saw a CHEEP price advertised & booked, instead of booking direct with the airline as always recommended

Canada
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

In an effort to save a few bucks you broke rule number one of air travel. Go directly to the airline. In addition your problems were caused by your carelessness. End of story.

8. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 October 2016, 10:35

London, United...
Level Contributor
592 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

Customer not so sharp, what are you complaining about, your ability to book direct

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service

You made a booking mistake and paid only GBP 100 for two pax to rectify it. Where is the problem?

Using shonky third parties is never a good idea in the first place. Book directly with the airline.

Anyway, as you have chosen this agent, keep an eye on your booking with the airline to catch any changes on your booking.

Reply to: Fly Sharp - disgraceful customer service
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted