We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

LONDON
Level Contributor
6 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

Good evening.

I was just wondering how easy it is on a cruise to deal with a food intolerance, as I have celiac disease. I was asked at the time of booking our cruise and P&O have been informed. Has anyone else had to deal with a food intolerance on a cruise. I'm sure there will be many other passengers also on the cruise also with various food intolerances. It is just a bit of a pain when eating out in restaurants. Many thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

From the P&O advice centre website:

"Our chefs can prepare gluten/wheat free bread, rolls, separate sauces, gravies and gluten free Ale is available. Gluten/wheat free choices are available for afternoon tea and room service (also, from May 2017 we introduced an exciting new range of chargeable items to the menu) however, these requests will need to be made on board with the Restaurant Manager.

Should you wish to request a Gluten Free diet, please call our Customer Contact Centre please visit our website for contact details, or your local Travel Agent with your booking reference and cruise details."

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

Most cruise lines take food allergies /intolerances seriously

People should notify the Special services dept well in advance of the cruise

Then when you board speak to the Maitre'D or Chef

the first day just ask the wait staff if there is something you should not eat for your condition

They usually send a menu to your cabin the day before so you can choose what you want & they do their best to accommodate your food intolerance

If you decide to eat in the Buffet ask to speak to the Chef & see what is safe for you to eat

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

One reason we cruise is because it is the easiest way to deal with food allergies when traveling. They are obsessive about t once you advise the ship.

Food in the buffet is well labelled, and grouped. They are obsessive about separate toasters etc. On Celebrity they provided the next nights menu so that dishes could be modified so you could still eat the interesting stuff.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

Like NZMike, I've found cruise lines helpful. However, I find the main dining room the way to go, and even suggest fixed time/table seating for dinner. Having the same server for your main meal takes the worry out of things.

I think each line deals with different needs with different levels of expertise. For example, a vegan, Hindu, or Jain would find Holland America Line poor, as there is a lack of understanding about different kinds of vegetarian diets. Maddening.

OTOH, I've found HAL exceptional for food allergies and gluten intolerance. One travel companion was not truly celiac, merely borderline intolerant. She was overwhelmed by the cooperation.

Another with a variety of allergies (including soy) was also well cared for.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,025 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

>>>Most cruise lines take food allergies /intolerances seriously<<<

>>>One reason we cruise is because it is the easiest way to deal with food allergies when traveling. They are obsessive about t once you advise the ship.<<<

I agree with both of these statements. On our last P&O cruise I was on a bit of a restricted diet because of a sudden medical problem, and they looked after me very well. It wasn't a special diet for health or religious reasons, it wa smor ethat I was advised to avoid certain foods. But I found that having informed the ship shortly before I sailed, that they went out of their way to help me in the MDR.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,430 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.

I'm highly anaphylactic to all nut and seafood products. I have traveled with a coeliac person.

I stick to main dining room or specialty restaurants as there is so much cross contamination risk in the buffets with lazy passengers dropping serving spoons in the wrong tray etc.

Neither of us went hungry :)

Reply to: Celiac disease, or any other food intolerances.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted