We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair availability

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
wheelchair availability

going on Dream later this year, are there wheelchairs available for sightseeing if dont have own one?

4 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchair availability

Most cruise lines do not provide wheelchairs for everyday use

I suggest renting one or a mobility scooter for the shore excursions

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchair availability

Agree with lht. Cruise ships have wheelchairs readily available at embarkation and debarkation, free, to speed things up.

But Marella says: "You’ll need to bring your own standard-size, collapsible wheelchair to use on our ships. There are a few restrictions, such as the size and weight of the wheelchair, and also the amount of wheelchairs we can carry on each sailing. Please contact us before you book to make sure we’ve got space. We’ll also talk you through which cabins will suit you best."

https:/…customer-welfare

You don't mention your embarkation port, and that makes a difference. But one of the companies I've used is:

specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/…

I actually recommend AGAINST a scooter unless you absolutely need one. They're a nuisance onboard - don't fit through doorways, need to be frequently charged. Wheelchairs fold and stow and don't get in the way. Marella mentions you need approval for your make/model on the above page.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheelchair availability

Fannish

They now have smaller scooter may not be in the UK but check out Travel scoot

https://www.travelscoot.com/

they fold up for travel

We saw some on our HAL cruise

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wheelchair availability

Yes, lht! Thanks!

But the weight of most *rental* units is a high. I just wanted to warn the OP that while a scooter may sound better than a wheelchair, they can have their drawbacks. Of course, the benefits outweigh that for many. Scooters are lifesavers for solo travellers with limited upper body strength, and no one to push them.

Roz K, get in contact with Marella ASAP to explore options. That same page says they may limit the number of wheelchair passengers (which may sound discriminatory - but in an emergency, these pax need more help from crew).

Reply to: wheelchair availability
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted