We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

irons

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Topic
irons

can you take an iron on board ?

14 replies to this topic
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: irons

Can you take an iron on board what?

A Boeing 747?

A double decker bus?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: irons

In germinal - nope. Without knowing your cruise line, no one can say definitively, but the answer for the vast majority of lines is a hard NO.

Some cruise lines have self-service laundry rooms with irons, while others only offer laundry service for a fee. People get around it by using Downey Wrinkle Release, brining non-wrinkleable clothes, using a hot shower to steam wrinkles out, using hair dryer to blow them out, etc. Everyone is in the same boat when it comes to wrinkles/laundry. (pun intended).

adelaide
Level Contributor
28 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: irons

Does anyone have any experience of a travel garment steamer as an alternative to an iron?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,039 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: irons

Hang items in the bathroom and they will be steamed!

Personally, I don't care about a few creases. I'm on holiday, not trying to get a job or promotion, lol!

adelaide
Level Contributor
28 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: irons

Not yet an experienced cruiser, so wondered about a recommendation I read somewhere about the use of a hand held garment steamer. We'll be on a longer cruise this time (18 days) and will probably wash and wear a few garments, thus the enquiry. Cheers

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: irons

some ships have laundry rooms where irons are provided

others will not allow irons or steamers

a good place to check is on the cruise lines website under the FAQ's

if that fails call them & ask

Edited: 19 June 2018, 06:40
adelaide
Level Contributor
28 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: irons

We're booked with Celebrity who do not provide self-service laundry facilities and don't allow irons. I have a bottle of Downy wrinkle releaser which a kindly Canadian fellow traveller donated at the end of a European trip last year. Will give this a try combined with the shower effect, but I do not anticipate that it will meet my needs with regard to smoothing a hand washed silk top (I'm guaranteed to mark the top with a droplet of wine, coffee or maybe sauce from a main course!). Thank you for your input which is appreciated.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: irons

I would highly recommend not taking such delicate clothing. Seriously. After multiple cruised - many on Celebrity - we've learned to take "sturdier" clothing, if you will, more cotton and twill, linen etc - things that CA be worn multiple times, things we're not too worried if they get stained, things that if they get wrecked by ship's laundry, we won't be distraught, things that we can steam via shower or Wrinkle Release. A hand wash only delicate silk too would definitely not make the cut for us, regardless of length of cruise, etc.

You can attempt spritzing it lightly with some water then using the blow dryer to "iron" it. Or use your curling iron - lightly! Or send it to ship's laundry for pressing, or professional cleaning (similar to dry cleaning) - it is a mass operation though, so not always a great choice for delicate items.

Travel steamers and irons are prohibited by Celebrity. If found when X-raying your luggage, they'll confiscate it till end of cruise; same is supposed to happen if found by room steward. It's a fire hazard, as it's not specced against the ship's electrical system...

Seriously - everybody is in the same boat, some wrinkles here or there are not the end of the world. (pun intended).

adelaide
Level Contributor
28 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: irons

Aaah! Disappointed that they're not allowed, but not worth trying to smuggle in prohibited appliances. I won't proceed along that road. Thanks for the information.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: irons

I agree with Princess take clothes that are wash n wear with minimal wrinkles

I prefer natural fabrics & do take linen shirts but we have a laundry room on the line we travel so a quick press works for me

enjoy the cruise

Reply to: irons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted